Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retiree Auto Loan, Is it possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Retiree Auto Loan, Is it possible?

Recently retired with an income from Social Security and pensions of about $3000 per month. Existing car and house are fully paid. My FICO auto score 8 is EQ=675, TU=669, EX=677. I'm trying to get it higher by paying off some credit card debt. I would like to buy a Ford Edge or Subaru, with MSRP of around 40k. I can easily put 25% down with trade-in and cash and I'm hoping for 0% interest. I read that Ford will not accept anyone that does not have a regular job. Is this true? Any tips or advice before I, as a 68 year-old retiree, head to the dealers? With appreciation, J

3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Retiree Auto Loan, Is it posible?

I don't know about Ford directly, but if you have stable income, and enough of it, you will be approved by someone. We did it at Chase all the time.

Message 2 of 4
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't know about Ford directly, but if you have stable income, and enough of it, you will be approved by someone. We did it at Chase all the time.

+100,  Have been retired for about 12 years and have never had a problem.

If you have stable income, and enough for the DTI  figures with a new loan you should be fine.

With 20+ % down,  I don't see any problem.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pension's/Social security income would be considered stable income. Being retired and having retirement income should have absolutely no bearing on your ability to get approved for an auto loan. The only downside to a lender extending credit to someone on fixed non-taxable income, is the inability to garnish in the event of default. However, I think the flip-side of guaranteed monthly income is more enticing to a lender than the possibility of future job loss for a typical W2 employee.

You should qualify based on your scores, down payment, and income, for the type of loan you are looking for. I am unsure of the scores required for 0% financing, you would be best to call a local dealership and ask the F&I guy specifically what bureau Ford Motor Credit pulls in your region, and what score is required to obtain 0% financing.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.