Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling over negative equity for better loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rolling over negative equity for better loan

Hi all,
I bought my first car with little credit, resulting in a 18k loan at 20% interest for 6 years. Obviously this was a terrible decision but it felt like a good deal at the time because I needed a vehicle. Fast forward a few years and I am now around 5k or 6k upside down on the loan, pretty much eliminating any chance of refinancing (without a very large payment to principal). My credit score, however, is a great deal better, and I have been approved for a 25k loan from my credit union at 4% interest rate. I would very much like to trade in my current car for a larger suv/truck for work.
I have read through a few posts and saw that typically rolling over negative equity into a new loan is an awful idea. In this case however, even if I used the total amount I am approved for I will end up paying less per month for a loan of the same duration I have left on my current car. In this case would rolling over the equity be an acceptable idea? Is there anything I should know going in?
Thank you for the help, this is my first post.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Rolling over negative equity for better loan

I would do it.  With lower payments you could pay extra when you could plus the truck is for for plus since your credit is improved, this will help motivate you to keep going.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.