cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Said hello, and he ran my credit report..

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Said hello, and he ran my credit report..

I vote illegal. I've walked on lots before to look at cars and even gave my business card, but no inquiries and these were high-end dealers though. For now on, I'll park a block away and give a fake name when just walking around.

Message 11 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

OP ~ I assumed that you had handed your ID over to the Salesman, if that is not the case then I agree that you have a valid concern.

The issue of a car dealer pulling your credit by using your tag # to get an address is very shady, and IMO violates the FCRA.    I don't think that any judge would agree that driving onto a car lot constitues Permissable Purpose for them to pull your credit.   If this happened to me I would file a small claims action against the dealer.

With regards to the illegality of using a Tag #, it really varies by state, as the address linked to a tag # is considered public information in some states.   In other states it is available only when you purchase access to a database, so the state can regulate, and make $$$.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 22
teenastie
Established Contributor

I'm surprised that I'm hearing this... I live in FL so I can't speak about other states but I remember a lawsuit arising for SHOPPING  a customers credit when they allowed our dealership to run their credit (there is a box that the customer can check that gives permission to shop). This was over 10 years ago so I am not sure if anything has changed.

Dealerships have access to the DMV as they have direct access to the title/resignation databases to register cars. But using that information to obtain a credit report without your consent is illegal. There is fine print on a credit app that states the consumer gives the dealership the ability to access their credit report.

As a "peace officer"I have access to DMV databases but I cannot access this information without probable cause so I can't just run tags at my leisure (again this is FL only stuff).

Just like when you call a Credit Card company and app for a new product the rep asks, "Can I pull your credit report?" You are being recorded and they have to hear you say Yes. I did it yesterday and the rep asked 3 or 4 times if he could access my CR. I would certainly contact an attorney to see if this practice is accepted in your state. If it is... LEAVE THAT STATE!!! I've never heard of such a thing

Message 13 of 22
BGinVA
Contributor

What's even more creepy is how do they even know that the vehicle belongs to the person who is shopping?  I've taken others car shopping before (my mom, my sister, my adult son), and I'd be livid if my credit took a hit simply for being the driver that day.  I think I'd be on the phone with those dealers asap

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. I definitely would go all out to make sure they new my name. They would wish they never met me after I was done. The audacity and the fact that it's impacting your credit makes me so angry. You need to speak to the head of the corporate office because I know this can't be something they condone their salesman to do. It would cost them so much more money in lawsuits than bringing in revenue. Tacky tacky tacky.

Message 15 of 22
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Excedrin,

I'm going to take a different take here.

Uhhhh, you said "you don't really need a new car...that you just like the looks of the new mustang..."

Ummmm...car dealerships (as shady as some might be...and I agree that they were wrong to pull your credit without asking) are in the business to SALE CARS. Even if you say you don't really need a new car, their job is to convince you, however smooth they can, that you do.

If you don't want to get singed by the fire anymore, stop walking by the flame until you're serious about buying.

I'm just sayin...

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Miss...

that is like saying don't go shopping for shoes if you don't have the money or don't go to the mall.  I car shop all the time even if I am not interested in buying.  I love cars.. they are cool.

My question that hasn't been answered here is .. most places we go will require a drivers license copy to drive the car ... if they use that and request your credit.. Can you do anything about it.  Even if you sign a paper and you walk out of a deal .. they have no reason to run your credit and do.. Can you do anything about it??

It should be illegal!

Message 17 of 22
IOBA
Senior Contributor

cjcharger - In theory, they can not pull your credit unless you are applying for financing for the car.  Some dealerships are not so ethical and will pull credit based on the information from your driver's license.   They do this to "pre-judge" you and decide if they should invest time to sell you the car or not bother with you since you can't be financed anyway.

In my case, they ran my license plate number and got  my personal information.    Once they had my personal information, which included name, address, and title status, they ran my credit.  (My car has no liens on it - they learned that tidbit when they accessed the title information.)

When I bought the car a four years ago, I paid cash.  I was LIVID that the dealership ran my credit even though I refused to sign a credit application and I wrote on the other paperwork that they were NOT ALLOWED TO RUN CREDIT.   They did it anyway.   Their justification - they have to run everyone's credit regardless of how they pay for a car.   Several people on this board have had similar experiences and were told it was a way to "verify identity".   (IMO - BS)   They already required my utility bills, bank statements, social security card, and photo ID.   Why wouldn't that be enough to verify identity??

If you have signed a paper indicating that you are going to buy the car, they probably would run your credit to determine what financing options they can offer you.  

Until you have signed the final sales agreement, you can walk away from any car deal.

Message 18 of 22
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

That is exactly what I'm saying.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. I definitely would go all out to make sure they new my name. They would wish they never met me after I was done. The audacity and the fact that it's impacting your credit makes me so angry. You need to speak to the head of the corporate office because I know this can't be something they condone their salesman to do. It would cost them so much more money in lawsuits than bringing in revenue. Tacky tacky tacky.

+100000000000000000000

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.