Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salesperson said it'd be a SP but it was a HP :(

tag
DH1988
New Contributor

Salesperson said it'd be a SP but it was a HP :(

Hi guys,

Recently I was shopping around for cars. I went to a dealership and began discussing a vehicle. The salesperson assured me he could give me a idea of the price breakdown without putting a hard pull on my credit. I asked him to verify this with his finance manager because it seemed too good to be true. He reassured me, he gets asked everyday about this and there would be absolutely no HP.

I agreed, and instantly all my credit monitoring sites began alerting me about a new inquiry. I emailed the salesperson the next day asking why he told me it would be a SP if that wasn't true. I got a message back from his manager apologizing for his oversight and saying that the saleperson simply made an error that won't happen again.

Okay great, but the HP is still on my credit. Is this something I can dispute? Can HPs be removed from my credit?

Cap One QS (5/2008) $7k | Nordstrom VS (7/2017) $15k | Amex BCP (9/2018) $9.8k | Chase Freedom Flex (12/2018) $8.7k | NFCU Amex (9/2019) $31k | NFCU Flagship (12/2019) $15.2k | Discover it (10/20) $7k | Chase Sapphire Preferred (7/2021) $8k |

EXP/TU - 727
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Salesperson said it'd be a SP but it was a HP :(

I would dispute this immediately and I'd request his manager to request removal of the HP. If he apologized in the email you should have valid documentation to get removed. 

Message 2 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would dispute this immediately and I'd request his manager to request removal of the HP. If he apologized in the email you should have valid documentation to get removed. 

Sorry, but it doesn't work like that.  He needs something in writing saying the manager will remove it.  And this will probably be like pulling teeth for it to actually be removed.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had HP’s removed. Sorry but it does.
Message 4 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve had HP’s removed. Sorry but it does.

I'm saying by just having him "apologize" is not valid documentation to have it pulled.  He has to acually SAY he will do it, and have it in writing/e-mail.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm saying it worked for me. So you are incorrect in your statement that it "is not valid". Just saying. 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb salesperson aside (they often just don't know any better) it's valid, not worth the headache, and it's only an HP. Just move on.

Message 7 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm saying it worked for me. So you are incorrect in your statement that it "is not valid". Just saying. 

YOU had it removed or the SALESPERSON?

Message 8 of 26
jl4
Established Contributor

Did you fill out a credit application, @DH1988? If so, there's probably not much you could do. If you DIDN'T, then definitely dispute it.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

All me! Very similar situation to the OP! Lots of people think HP's are sooooo hard to get removed but they really aren't depending on the circumstances. They had sent an email basically stating that they were sorry and it wouldn't happen again. Whatever! 

I used that "sorry" email and attached to an Equifax dispute - viola! Deleted! 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.