Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salesperson said it'd be a SP but it was a HP :(

tag
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: Salesperson said it'd be a SP but it was a HP :(

Just another reason for everyone to have all 3 of their reports frozen.

Then when they admit to you that they couldn't HP you, you go and find another dealership. They know exactly what they are doing. 

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 11 of 26
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Unless I'm mistaken, SPs are only allowed to pierce a frozen bureau if they identify as having an established business relationship with you.

While you should still have as many as you can of your reports frozen most of the time, this advice is not useful.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 12 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

Then when they admit to you that they couldn't HP you, you go and find another dealership. They know exactly what they are doing. 

I understand the purpose of freezing one's reports, but I don't understand your rationale on this.  So what if said dealership gives you the "best" deal, wouldn't you allow them full access to your credit report, or would you simply go to the next dealership?   A car purchase is a major transaction on your credit profile so I would think you would allow the winning dealership access.  It's like you are "hiding" something....just my thoughts.

Message 13 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Gladius wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

I understand the purpose of freezing one's reports, but I don't understand your rationale on this.  So what if said dealership gives you the "best" deal, wouldn't you allow them full access to your credit report, or would you simply go to the next dealership?   A car purchase is a major transaction on your credit profile so I would think you would allow the winning dealership access.  It's like you are "hiding" something....just my thoughts.

Once that first hp comes in it starts the clock for grouping inquiries. If you're not serious about buying a car in the next 2 weeks, the frozen reports will keep that clock from starting. Once you're serious, you can thaw your reports to let them HP you.

Message 14 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Ardecko wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, SPs are only allowed to pierce a frozen bureau if they identify as having an established business relationship with you.

While you should still have as many as you can of your reports frozen most of the time, this advice is not useful.

Actually, it is useful if you're just casually shopping. See my response above.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

True that Brian. Enables you to dictate when things pops off, on your terms! Smart!
Message 16 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Gladius wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Once that first hp comes in it starts the clock for grouping inquiries. If you're not serious about buying a car in the next 2 weeks, the frozen reports will keep that clock from starting. Once you're serious, you can thaw your reports to let them HP you.

I understand that, and understand the importance of keeping a good mix of credit on your profile, but many people act like a HP is like a death notice for their credit report.  If you are car "shopping", the point is to get the BEST deal for you.  If you play the game of keeping your credit reports frozen, you may miss out on that BEST deal.  If you are serious, then stop the "game", and give the dealership what they want to get you in the car you WANT.  My last car purchase only gave me 2 HPs on my report, scores didnt change and I don't plan on applying for credit for ANYTHING in the next couple of years and haven't had a "loan" HP in the last 3 years.  And while I was "shopping" for my car, I went to 3 dealerships with not one HP, the 4th got my business and the HP.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well multiple HP’s are actually pretty terrible for a rebuilder/thin file so there's that. Before purchasing a vehicle my suggestion is to lock up financing prior to visiting the dealership. I prefer to dictate my future.

Message 18 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well an HP is actually pretty terrible for a rebuilder/thin file so there’s that. Before purchasing a vehicle my suggestion is to lock or financing prior to visiting the dealership. I prefer to dicatate my future.

Well I never had to worry about that since I am a very conscience about my credit profile, but yes.  

And yes, that should ALWAYS be mandatory for the serious buyer (from your bank of choice).

Message 19 of 26
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Gladius wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Brian has eloquently explained my rationale.

Plus you need to re-read the OP. They specifically discussed a SP and this wasn't neccesarily the "winning" dealership yet.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.