vfree
Established Member

Re: Seeking assistance need approval with tax lien on reports

when you say high enough what is high?  I have it as 550

Message 11 of 17
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Honestly 550's a little low. Your best shot might just be a local bank or CU to refi.

Personally, if the car's reliable and you like it, I'd personally try to pay it down ASAP. 3k towards principle definitely helps you down that path. Keep in mind if you buy a 2k beater (and these days 2k buys a really **bleep** car), you don't know what repairs are coming down the pike.

Message 12 of 17
srchick
Regular Contributor

I also have a tax lien on my reports that I've disputed and await responses.  In the meantime when I try in about six months for an auto should I go for places like Blue Sky or Autonation? (I've got a 682 EXP, 653 TU, and 637 EQ.) I know I will keep working on raising the scores, but the auto situation is becoming critical.  The tax lien is such a red flag on my CR. Help somebody!Smiley Sad

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 13 of 17
vfree
Established Member

Thank you for the feedback.  I want to do the right thing and want to get out of debt. 

Message 14 of 17
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Your credit score is decent even given the lien. When you say you've disputed, it's not your lien? Has it been paid off or is there a balance on it?

Depending on what car you want, I'd apply to a place like a local CU or bank maybe. Also you could try Cap One. Afterwards, yeah, go to a bigger dealer like Autonation...I think your best chance would be there.

Message 15 of 17
srchick
Regular Contributor

There's a balance of $1,124 being paid in monthly in payments.  I wrote to CA FTB to dispute the validity of the tax lien having been assessed in the first place, and await a response.  I plan to join a local CU in the next couple of weeks. Really appreciate the suggestions.

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 16 of 17
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Gotcha. Seems like the best way to go about it. If it were a federal lien, I was going to suggest that it can be removed after the amount is paid in full (or even if you have less than some amount as balance and have it set to auto pay). But I don't think that applies to a state tax lien.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.