Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a financed vehicle

tag
Shock
Established Contributor

Selling a financed vehicle

So I want to sell a financed car...is this pretty simple? Find a buyer and we both go to the credit union that has my title?

How about dealerships? I know they will lowball me but I need them as an option since I want to finance another car.

Any siggestions or advice?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Selling a financed vehicle

Yep. If you private party it, going to the CU should work since they're local. Try asking them about the procedure to see if a particular branch holds on to the title, etc... But in general yes. Have the buyer pay whatever to pay off the loan. You keep the difference. If you still owe, you need to pay the CU. Keep in mind you may want to try to now show the buyer the payoff right there...so you could maybe have him give everything to the CU and them refund you? Some people think they're being ripped off even though loan amount has nothing to do with what the car is worth?

For dealerships, get a quote from Carmax first (30 minutes, no charge, no obligation). Use that as your minimum base line. That way a dealer won't rip you off on your trade. Negotiate your new car's price first. Then negotiate new car's financing. Don't mention trade till this point (it's going to be sold to family, whatever). Only after this mention trade...See what they come back with. Counter w/ Carmax and say at least this much or I'll go over there and do it. If you sell to a dealer or Carmax, they'll handle the payoff w/ CU for you. BUT you need to keep on top of them to make sure it gets paid off. Sometimes they like the float and slack leaving you at risk of derogatories.

Message 2 of 10
Shock
Established Contributor

Great info. Now the hard part..what if I want to finance a car across the country (I'm in CA, car is NJ) and its a private seller? 

Message 3 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Why would you want to do that? If it's a special circumstance/car, private message me. I've heard about going out of state on a car purchase, I almost always do, but not coasts haha. Smiley Wink

Know anybody in NJ? You can technically do it pretty easily. BUT, here's the big but, it's hard not to get scammed.

Private party car sales are FULL of scams. I recently sold a car PP, and trust me for every 1 legit inquiry I got, I got 10 fake ones. By the end of it, my scam smelling radar was FINE-TUNED. And no, some of the scam emails had perfect English, so it wasn't just their English.

If you were dealing with a large corporation, here's how it'd go: they'd fax you the buyers order and bill of sale, etc... You'd give that to your finance company and send the dealer/corp a signed copy back. Your finance co would send them a check. The seller would put your finance co as the lien holder, you as owner, and send the title in. You'd arrange for a car shipper to go pick up the car. The prior owner would turn over posession to the shipper. In a week or two or three, your car would arrive.

Obviously the key here is trust. See that prior owner has to actually turn over posession and the title. Maybe if your bank has branches in both places this can hypothetically work? Still though this is tough with a private seller. Heck how would you look the car over? Anyone have more experience?

Message 4 of 10
Shock
Established Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

Why would you want to do that? If it's a special circumstance/car, private message me. I've heard about going out of state on a car purchase, I almost always do, but not coasts haha. Smiley Wink

Know anybody in NJ? You can technically do it pretty easily. BUT, here's the big but, it's hard not to get scammed.

Private party car sales are FULL of scams. I recently sold a car PP, and trust me for every 1 legit inquiry I got, I got 10 fake ones. By the end of it, my scam smelling radar was FINE-TUNED. And no, some of the scam emails had perfect English, so it wasn't just their English.

If you were dealing with a large corporation, here's how it'd go: they'd fax you the buyers order and bill of sale, etc... You'd give that to your finance company and send the dealer/corp a signed copy back. Your finance co would send them a check. The seller would put your finance co as the lien holder, you as owner, and send the title in. You'd arrange for a car shipper to go pick up the car. The prior owner would turn over posession to the shipper. In a week or two or three, your car would arrive.

Obviously the key here is trust. See that prior owner has to actually turn over posession and the title. Maybe if your bank has branches in both places this can hypothetically work? Still though this is tough with a private seller. Heck how would you look the car over? Anyone have more experience?

Yeah I hear ya. The ad is on Autotrader so I assume it's legit on the surface. The right thing to do would be to fly over and check it out first. And the bad news is my CU is only in CA..

Such a doozy because it's one of those those rare cars. Not too rare, but exactly the spec's I'm looking for at the price I want, and it just happens to be on the East Coast. I wonder if they can give me a cashier's check or some sort of blank check to give to the guy, and he has to trust that its legit. AHHH!

I suppose I have connects on the East Coast, but it would just be a hassle!

Message 5 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Clearly yeah, there's trust issues on both sides. When I sold I got a TON of inquiries from spammers wanting to buy with certified check or western union or some crap like that and have their auto mover pick it up. My response? Cash/bitcoin only. They stopped emailing shortly after lol.

Also do you know how much shipping that car is going to cost? You're looking at over 1k to be honest...if you put in another 1k to buy the car in ca, could you now buy a slightly better trim with all the features?

Message 6 of 10
Shock
Established Contributor

Hmmm. There's one in my area that doesn't have pictures up yet lol. I guess that one is ideal..I should probably aim for that. It's an older model though..06 vs 08..

have you ever financed two cars at the same time?

Message 7 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

If you're a prime customer and the DTI makes sense, it is typically not an issue. Helps even more if say you had a really good explanation for the second car: "My ___________ is driving that"

I'd recommend getting financing from two places though...just because in most cases (except captives), I think a bank might be afraid of two simultaneous.

Message 8 of 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Making things more difficult than they really need to be.

99.99% of CU have shared branch options.  With this you can go into almost any CU location regardless of the name and pull funds from your CA account from the branch in NJ or wherever you are.

Pre-approve on the loan for the new one you want and then get a draft from the local branch when you've looked at it.  Drive it or ship it back to CA.

Sell your current one either way.  I'm not sure how CA deals w/ titles but, here in TX DOT holds them while there's a lien.  Other states just print the lien on the title and give you the copy to hold onto for sales.

Message 9 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I read somewhere that Carmax buys financed vehicles. I'd look into that as well.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.