Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I refinance?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I refinance?

Revelate wrote: If had to do it over again and I didn't have a theoretical mortgage coming up, I'd refinance my vehicle for a *longer* term rather than a shorter one, and play silly FICO games. 

Why is a longer term better than a shorter one? Also, what do you mean by playing silly FICO games?

Message 11 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Longer terms (60+ months) used to offer a lower APR and people would pay it off earlier to avoid the additional interest but the car game caught on...Lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 12 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Little update on my refinance search. I applied to Western CU a few days ago. Western is currently reviewiing my documentation and will hopefully provide me with an offer by end of today or Monday. I'm soo hopeful this CU comes through with a good offer. I also applied through Lending Tree which was a big mistake. I ended up with 14 inquires from compaines I didn't even agree to let look in my credit...O_O

Message 13 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Little update on my refinance search. I applied to Western CU a few days ago. Western is currently reviewiing my documentation and will hopefully provide me with an offer by end of today or Monday. I'm soo hopeful this CU comes through with a good offer. I also applied through Lending Tree which was a big mistake. I ended up with 14 inquires from compaines I didn't even agree to let look in my credit...O_O

That's the danger with Lending Tree; you can get a ton of unwanted inquiries.  If you don't get offers at a lower rate, I believe the best thing you can do is make your regular payment and then make an additional payment to principal, only.  Most lenders will allow you to fo this, and it can make a hug differnce.

I call installment loans dragons, because the drag on and on and.....  The faster your can gt rid of one the better, an the savings works as well as refinancing,

Good luck  to you.

Message 14 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your advice! Smiley Happy

I've decided not to refinance my vehicle. It's become a bit of a hassle so I'm just going to stick with my current loan.

Message 15 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@money_talks wrote:

Revelate wrote: If had to do it over again and I didn't have a theoretical mortgage coming up, I'd refinance my vehicle for a *longer* term rather than a shorter one, and play silly FICO games. 

Why is a longer term better than a shorter one? Also, what do you mean by playing silly FICO games?

Longer tradelines = better tradelines.

In this case, if I could finance my car for something like 2% where the interest is irrelevant to me financially compared to putting lipstick on my pig by having a nice lengthy payment-history auto loan, I would.

Not sure there's much resolution past the 3 year mark, though there's some lenders like WFDS that if you pickup a loan through them via a dealer, you can pretty much turn around and pay 95% of the loan immediately and push your next payment date out by some absurd amount, and then just let it sit idle paying a penny every few months or whatever.  2% interest on $100 for a 5 year loan, call it $10 bucks financing charge for a 3.5ish year tradeline.

Yes please.

Unfortunately my current DCU auto loan only allows me to push my payment date out by 3 months. Smiley Sad

        
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.