Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of trading 2008 BMW 328i for 2009 Lexus IS350

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Thinking of trading 2008 BMW 328i for 2009 Lexus IS350

Anyone have one of these new Lexus'? The BMW dealership here is pathetic, and the worse customer service experience I've ever had. They've angered me enough to file with the BBB as well as complain to their corporate office.

As such, I don't even want to pay them interest. I have 2.9 financing on my current car, but I'm thinking about dealing it for a new Lexus so I never have to set foot inside the BMW dealership again. 

Thoughts? Anyone have experiences with Lexus vehicles?

Here we go again...
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking of trading 2008 BMW 328i for 2009 Lexus IS350

Yep, I have a 2006 Lexus IS350.  I benchmarked it against the BMW 335i, and the Lexus won.  The BMW has better driving dynamics,  but the interior is not up to scratch.  And since I tend to keep my cars for longer than the warranty period, it was a no brainer (never keep a German car out of warranty, it'll eat you alive).  The IS350 is not quite as good in the driving experience as the Bimmer, but still very good, but the interior is much nicer than the BMW.  And option prices are lower than BMW.  The Sports Package is recommended, and the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade is a steal when ordered with the Navigation.  Reliability is typical Toyota. 

Message 2 of 17
Takunda1
Established Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Anyone have one of these new Lexus'? The BMW dealership here is pathetic, and the worse customer service experience I've ever had. They've angered me enough to file with the BBB as well as complain to their corporate office.

As such, I don't even want to pay them interest. I have 2.9 financing on my current car, but I'm thinking about dealing it for a new Lexus so I never have to set foot inside the BMW dealership again. 

Sounds to me like this an emotional decision. Have you thought about the cost of getting rid of that Bimmer for the Lexus? Why not just go to another BMW dealership, if you don't like the service at the one you go to. It doesn't seem to me like you have a problem with the vehicle, just the service you received at a dealership.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even with a BMW, you are going to take a decent hit on equity if it is a 2008.  It is not worth that financially just to prove a point.  Go to another MBW dealer for service, and trade the BMW in when you will not be negative on it. 
Message 4 of 17
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Takunda1 wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Sounds to me like this an emotional decision. Have you thought about the cost of getting rid of that Bimmer for the Lexus? Why not just go to another BMW dealership, if you don't like the service at the one you go to. It doesn't seem to me like you have a problem with the vehicle, just the service you received at a dealership.

There's only 1 dealership in my area. I'll have to keep returning to this dealership to have my vehicle serviced and whatnot.  

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 17
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Even with a BMW, you are going to take a decent hit on equity if it is a 2008.  It is not worth that financially just to prove a point.  Go to another MBW dealer for service, and trade the BMW in when you will not be negative on it. 

That's the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on that decision when I went to the dealership. They offered about 3-4k less than what I owe, with equity like you said. 

If I can get them to pay it off entirely, I'll probably pull the trigger. 

Here we go again...
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-09-2008 12:05 AM
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they offered you 3-4k less then what you owe then prepare to spend an extra $60-80 a month extra on a new lexus, assiming that it will be in the same price range as the bmw. Personally, I wouldnt do it, you have less then a 1 year old BMW. Stick with it for another year until you gain some equity on the car. I would strongly suggest making extra payments/larger payments.
Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-09-2008 12:06 AM
Message 8 of 17
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 If they offered you 3-4k less then what you owe then prepare to spend an extra $60-80 a month extra on a new lexus, assiming that it will be in the same price range as the bmw. Personally, I wouldnt do it, you have less then a 1 year old BMW. Stick with it for another year until you gain some equity on the car. I would strongly suggest making extra payments/larger payments.
Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-09-2008 12:06 AM

You think it'll count as being a year old in January although I bought it on September? That should even out the equity, I think. Plus it isn't too far away. 

Here we go again...
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think in these tough economic times you need to see what the difference in the cost is.  Your BMW is brand new and if you are going to lose a lot of money in the deal I don't think it is worth it.  I have had about 2 or 3 brand new cars in my lifetime so far and now I usually buy a used car as you save a lot of money and the cars are usually in very good condition.  I just never see anyone benefit from getting rid of a new car to buy another new car as you lose so much value the first year on the car.  I hope it works out for you if that is what you want but only you know what your finances are like and what you can afford.  Either way good luck on your car or cars.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.