cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took a bunch of HPs yesterday for a loan, terms aren’t the best. Did I just mess up for next time?

tag
99BMWM3

Took a bunch of HPs yesterday for a loan, terms aren’t the best. Did I just mess up for next time?

I ordered a base model Tesla Model 3 last October because I drive about 2500 miles a month going back and forth to get medical treatment for a condition I have and even at October 2021 fuel prices it was a savings to go electric, let alone today's pricing. 

The amount due for the car after taxes and all is $46,700. My trade in is worth $13,000 with $4,400 still owed to Chase, so it's effective worth is $8,600. I need an auto loan for about $37k. 

Tesla sent my app to their captive arm, US Bank, TD, US Bank, and BMO Harris -- with an HP for each. Tesla captive lending approved me -- but at a max of $30k at 6.24%, which means they want $8k due at signing.

I went and apped with several places -- Alliant CU, DCU, PenFed, USAA (in hindsight don't know why I went here, they're strict) to see if I could get a better rate and someone to give me a loan for the full $37k. 

Everyone denied me, except for DCU whom I'm waiting to get back to me with a decision. Alliant gave me a vague "credit score reasons" and returned a 617 even though everywhere else I'm 660-690 depending on bureau. Still waiting for PenFed to open so I can call for recon. 

I'm 15 months post-DC on my Ch7 with a solid rebuild -- 3 CCs, an auto loan, student loans.

My DTI is only 20-ish percent. I'm putting 20% down payment on the car. I think what's killing me though is I pulled my credit report and two of my CCs are showing 100% util from a medical expense I had a few weeks ago. They've since been paid down dramatically but my CR doesn't reflect yet. 

So anyways, I'm probably going to gave to delay by 2-3 months so I can save the $8k in cash. 

My question is that my loan approval is only valid for 60 days, so I'm going to have to re-apply most likely. I know for scoring purposes multiple apps on the same day for auto loans will count as one, but what about with lenders?

I'm worried that I go back to re-apply in two or three months and I get refused altogether because "too many inquiries."

4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Took a bunch of HPs yesterday for a loan, terms aren’t the best. Did I just mess up for next tim

I wouldn't worry about the inquiries, as you should be able to recon if that's an issue in a few months.

My question is, can you get more information on why you're being denied?  If they are unwilling to lend you that much on an auto loan, regardless of credit score then you'd just be denied again even if your score is bumped upwards with improved revolving utilization.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Re: Took a bunch of HPs yesterday for a loan, terms aren’t the best. Did I just mess up for next tim

Are you trying to buy brand new ? If not your solution could be getting a used one. I seen 2017/2018 models go for high 30s

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the inquiries, as you should be able to recon if that's an issue in a few months.

My question is, can you get more information on why you're being denied?  If they are unwilling to lend you that much on an auto loan, regardless of credit score then you'd just be denied again even if your score is bumped upwards with improved revolving utilization.  

I'd wager it's the combination of high UTI from those medicals as well as the 15 months post Ch 7 DC.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 5
99BMWM3

Update: Went to the local CU... APPROVED IN FULL! I will add a data point to the approvals sticky thread.

Edit: Link to post

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.