Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota's buy here pay here option

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Toyota's buy here pay here option

Just curious to see if anyone has used Toyotas buy here pay here financing and how it went? I'm in the market for a new/used car in the next six months or so. I was browsing one of my local Toyota dealers website and they have a section dedicated to buy here pay here and how they approve approximately 99% of applicant . I would be a sub prime borrower so of course this caught my attention. I've been mostly looking at carmax up until this point. I've emailed them to ask a bit about it but wondering if anyone has first hand experience with them? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Toyota's buy here pay here option

Personally I would craiglist before buy here pay here.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a Toyota program.

This is something that random dealers - of many makes in many states - provide to help credit-challenged customers in their area buy used cars on easy terms (usually at sub=prime interest rates).   The dealer will either set up their own LLC to handle it, or they'll partner with a finance company that handles subprime lending and offer it through them, and set up an office to accept payments during regular dealership hours (the "pay here" part).  This allows people without credit cards or checking accounts to make car payments in person.  Typically these loans involve a required down payment in the $500-$750 range, and will carry a relatively high interest rate, but they are typically easy to qualify for and willing to overlook credit issues that would have other lenders declining.

Depending on what your particular credit issues are, you may qualify with a better lender, at a better rate, and even be able to buy a new car if that's in your budget - these "buy here pay here" systems typically only deal in used cars.  You may be able to do a little cleanup work on your credit file and get into a better loan too, which could save you money in the long run on interest as opposed to the "buy here pay here" costs, too.

Message 3 of 19
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

I bought a car like that and they jacked up the asking price and put it on 40 months. If it is all you can qualify for then it might be worth it. My dealer only reported to Equifax though.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your scores?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit karma scores are 555 and 525. I'm about to order my actual Fico from credit check total sometime this weekend. My scores have actually come up almost 100 points(on credit karma at least) since I started repairing/rebuilding in Dec/January. At the moment my wife and I are sharing an almost 15 year old car and we both work so we def need a newer more reliable car asap. I talked to a sales person yesterday and he said they usually do 48 months with around 1000 down and you could do new or used depending on budget and whatnot but without having my credit score in front of him he couldn't really give me a payment price. The listed prices of the two cars I'm looking at are around 13,000 and 15,000. I'm planning for interest at around 20% or so. I've never heard of a new dealership offering anything like that before but I guess its not very uncommon. Thanks a lot!
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some dealers use FICO8 scores and others use Auto Enhanced FICO scores. You can pull those from here.

I was asking because when my scores were low 500s, I ended up going to a Nissan dealer that specialized in handling low scores and they got me a really good deal with a finance company. My car was used with only 1,000 miles on it and I believe my interest rate is either 12 or 13%. My note is only $280, but I'm hoping to trade it in today because I want a new Altima. Lol.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mind if I ask what the total price of your car was and which score model Nissan used ?
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also how much did you put down?
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit karma scores are 555 and 525. I'm about to order my actual Fico from credit check total sometime this weekend. My scores have actually come up almost 100 points(on credit karma at least) since I started repairing/rebuilding in Dec/January. At the moment my wife and I are sharing an almost 15 year old car and we both work so we def need a newer more reliable car asap. I talked to a sales person yesterday and he said they usually do 48 months with around 1000 down and you could do new or used depending on budget and whatnot but without having my credit score in front of him he couldn't really give me a payment price. The listed prices of the two cars I'm looking at are around 13,000 and 15,000. I'm planning for interest at around 20% or so. I've never heard of a new dealership offering anything like that before but I guess its not very uncommon. Thanks a lot!

Again, what are your scores? CK scores mean NOTHING at all

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.