Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade in cars to reduce loan debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trade in cars to reduce loan debt?

My wife and I would love to reduce our debt on car loans. She owes 16k, and I owe 15k. We've been struggling in finances and were wondering if we should trade in both of our cars and get used cars for around 5k-8k. Then some of the trade in money could knock down our overall loan amount right? We just don't like having 31k in car debt. Not with our current situation. Would that help? Advice?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trade in cars to reduce loan debt?

Trading in cars isn't the best way to go.  You would be better off selling the cars yourself and then buying cheaper cars seperately.  Trade in values are very low compared to what you can sell them for on the private market so you would likley lose a couple of thousand dollars per car or more in value on the trade.  Also buying cars at the 5 to 8k range come with a whole new set of challanges in terms of reliability so you will need to plan for repairs and please, please have those cars inspected by an independent mechanic before you buy.  I would also buy those cars from private parties because you get more car for your money than going through a dealer.  

Have you considered refinancing your existing cars to see if you can reduce the payments?

Message 2 of 5
Raziel77
Regular Contributor

It also depends on the current market value of the cars versus the amount owed.

TU: 738
EQ: 721
EX: 732 Plus score
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

duplicate post sorry

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what cars you currently have or their value.  If you owe more than they will give you for a trade-in, then that will be added to your new loan(s).  That could inflate the cost of your new vehicles.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.