Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading in a car you owe on?

tag
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

Re: Trading in a car you owe on?

We would even be fine with something a little smaller and less expensive if that's what it takes. We would love 2011 KiaSorento but we could also go down a couple thousand for a smaller sedan

Cards: CreditOne AMEX - $600, Cap1 QS - $500, Avant-$300, Cap1 WM Store - $300
GOAL - Chase FU - Goal Score 725
07/2021 - Experian 675 Equifax 673 Transunion 688
07/2019 - Experian 623 - Equifax 628 - Transunion 622
04/2019 - Experian 597 - Equifax 610 - Transunion 619
01/2017 - Experian 479 - Equifax 457 - Transunion 461
04/2017 - Experian 502 - Equifax 473 - Transunion 476
Message 21 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Smaller/bigger, cheaper, more expensive won't change 120 loan to value max and how upside down you are.
Do you have a Carmax?
I would go get an actual offer on your car so you know just how upside down you are and see about cash down
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey OP!!! Hang in there.

You have been given some excellent advice regarding your current car situation. I agree refinancing your current vehicle through a CU is the best route to take. Idk where you live, but summer is almost over so it should bring you and your wife some relief. It would be better to refinance your current car for a lower interest rate and payment then to buy another vehicle. Look at the big picture with a new baby coming it's better to err on the side of caution. Refinance your car now, so you can get what you want going forward ie mortgage and SUV.

Please keep us posted on your situation. Best of luck!!!

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I vote refinance.  This could cut the interest owed overall.  Make larger payments with the refi to knock back to the actual value of the trade in.  Plus, with the refi, most likely will have a lower payment so should cash be an issue, at least you can make min payment. Don't worry about having another 24+ months tacked on, all that matters is that you pay it down faster.

Of course if your CS rose since first purchase your APR will be lower too. 

Once youre above water or have the cash difference for the value of the trade in vs what is still owed, trade that sucker in.  Carmax is a halfway decent group but I suggest shopping for a loan first if you need one at your bank or credit union. Carmax will value your trade in so you know what you're dealing with better than Kelly BB unless you want to sell on your own.

Imo never trade in when underwater bc like a bad one night stand, that stuff comes back to haunt you. 

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.