Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to refinance Capital One Auto loan with Penfed but was denied

tag
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Tried to refinance Capital One Auto loan with Penfed but was denied

Sent a letter stating serious  delinquencies via Equifx.

Pulled that report and their no lates on there but 8 on Experian that were back in 2020. Why would they go by that?

Also just paid down 10k in credit card balances.

Now will that boost my score and give a better chance of a refi approval in a few months?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Tried to refinance Capital One Auto loan with Penfed but was denied

If they denied because of serious delinquencies, you can pay your cards down but they denied for delinquencies so you may have to let them age a bit more. 2 years is considered somewhat recent with some lenders .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 5
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

Credit goes back seven years so two is pretty recent. Give it some time and try again in maybe a year.

Message 3 of 5
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

i recently refinanced my home through PenFed, and from what I've read on their site, they only pull Equifax.  So, Experian's lates should not have any impact.  Are there older lates on your Equifax that go back the full 7 year history?  Not just revolving, but also installments including mortgage?

Message 4 of 5
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Carloscda40 I would let your balances report first and then consult a local credit union in your area and attempt to refinance with them. You can sit down face to face and they can look over your report and they usually are more lenient. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.