Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to assist brother, need advice

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Trying to assist brother, need advice

Hi all,

I am trying to help one of my brothers with an auto loan refinance.  He has had a vehicle for about a year and a half now financed through New Horizon.  He recently tried to get a newer vehicle but was told he owes too much negative equity on his current truck.

He financed the truck for approx 10k at 19% (WOAH!) and currently owes $6300 on it.  His credit is not perfect but he has literally never been late on his payments for this truck.  His CK is sitting at 520 ish (cell phone charge offs mostly)

What are his options?  He is open to anything from refinancing, if there is a way to decrease his payments or how he would go about purchasing another vehicle.

He is employed and has been steady employed for 3 years with no breaks at all.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to assist brother, need advice

He needs to make large payments on the auto loan. Paying the minimum on a 19% loan will always yield some negative equity.

Also, check out the rebuilding section of this board. Give your brother some help getting the derogs off his report.

After the score has improved some, and he has some equity. He should be able to refi.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 3
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to assist brother, need advice

He does make larger payments, and early to have the payment go more towards the principle rather than the interest.

I've done all that I can to help him with the negatives on his report, he is unwilling to pay anything off for a PFD.  He's hard headed lol and doesn't see the point since "they will just fall off eventually"

I have had several things removed but his report is pretty dirty (mostly old cell phone bills). 

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.