Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning in Lease-Dings, Dents, and Scratches

tag
happy0510
Established Contributor

Turning in Lease-Dings, Dents, and Scratches

Smiley HappyMy lease is up in less than a year.  I have some dings, dents, and scratches (not significant but there).  Since this is my first lease, I am very worried about what will happen.  Should I have them repaired first?

For the record, I am going to be turning in the car with approx 16,000 miles left that I never used.  I work 2 miles from home. Does this help?

I want to lease again because we got a GREAT deal but may not go with that dealer or Manufacturer.

Please share  your lease experience stories and suggestions!!

Happy

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Turning in Lease-Dings, Dents, and Scratches

You're probably going to be charged an exorbitant amount for each ding, dent and scratch.  While Toyota was more lenient (if re-buying from them), VW wasn't.  I had a little ding from a car door opening into mine and paid about $350.  While two of the items were under warranty, I was still charged.  typically you will take the car and a 3rd party will go over it and give you their finding and you'll be presented with a bill at turn in.  I could have had my auto guy do the repairs and saved cash, but my husband had back surgery and caring for him was more important.

I received a statement for $4800 at lease end and they settled for $3600, but had to make the payments inside of three months.  $1200 was for extra mileage, but I had that $$$ set aside for that.  I had two new tires installed and I was charged for two new tires to replace those because they weren't the same as the front brand.  Oh well.  Faced with that again, I would probably purchase the car and sell it myself instead of turning it in.

And NO, the unused mileage won't do a thing for you.  Buy this car yourself and sell it.

Message 2 of 9
happy0510
Established Contributor

Ok, I was offered 10K toward the purchase price with my lease option. This is virtually everything I put into it.  I really think it was a great deal.  This is through Toyota. 

Message 3 of 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I don't get what you mean. Everything you put into it? Do you mean you have to pay 10k at lease end to buy it? What is the KBB Trade in value (good condition) of your car right now?

Message 4 of 9
happy0510
Established Contributor

@:Remember0 wrote:

I don't get what you mean. Everything you put into it? Do you mean you have to pay 10k at lease end to buy it? What is the KBB Trade in value (good condition) of your car right now?

No, they are going to credit me 10K if I take the option to buy at turn in (this is what I put in). They already gave me my purchase price at turn in.  It's 14,500K if I want to buy it.  After checking the KBB good condition trade in value is $15,118.  Guess you just answered my question!

If everything goes as it seems at the end of this lease, then I am now a leasing fan! The payments are low and I can drive a new car :smileyhappy

Message 5 of 9
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

If somebody would ask me to pay a ridiculous amount at lease-end for each and every single dent or scratch, I would tell them right on the spot that this would mean that I will purchase the car on my own and WON'T be leasing a new one.

I can tell you that this will make the "major issue" of little dings or scratches magically disappear 9 out of 10 times.Smiley Very Happy

But so far, nobody ever went over my vehicle with a magnifying-glass when I leased a new replacement right away.

Message 6 of 9
NotTellinYou
New Contributor

Go to a paint less repair center see what they can do. Have the car detailed, clay bar/buff , and carpets shampoo etc. From now on park away from others, don't squeeze into parking spots, and drive further behind other cars and trucks throwing up stones etc.

Starting Score TU: 520
Current Score TU: 815. EX: 806. EQ: 819

Chase Freedom $20k, WellsFargo $12k, Barclay $5k, BCU $15k, Discover $5k, USAA $7k, Lowes $8k, Home Depot $10k, Citi $13k, Apple $15k, Credit One, $20k, NFCU, $25k, Arvest $35K
Message 7 of 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I think the key issue is people who want to turn in the lease and not buy from the same manufacturer again? In that case I think something wherein you turn in on the last day and pretend to be interested in buying new could also work. Just stall them and say you need to sleep it out. Make sure they know it's your lease's last day and make sure you get the lease squared away. Tell them you need to get the okay from a significant other or something to stall the purchase.

I'm guessing that would work for most people as long as there are not a lot of dings or big ones.

Message 8 of 9
happy0510
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I feel a lot more at ease with this post.

I will definitely take it to someone to look at and repair the little dings.  Also, will do a good detail.

Ideally, we want to lease again but maybe not with Toyota.  Our income has gone up pretty steadily since then and my company provides a sizeable vehicle allowance per month so I was thinking of upgrading Smiley Happy  Not so sure Toyota can give me what I want.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.