cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA New Car Buying Service and car buying advice

Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice


@Volpes wrote:

@C7LT1 wrote:

My USAA Car Buying experience from Oct 2011. Its good if you are looking for a USED Car too!!!

My wife was getting ready to graduate in Dec 2011 and had told me years ago that when she graduate was going to buy a Nissan Altima Coupe! I decided to buy it for her as graduate gift.

- I started my search looking for used 2010 or 2011 in showroom condition. I found several through USAA searching the entire state of Arizona and test drove a lot of them.   

- Out 8 test drives I only found one that I was interested in buying but couldn't get the dealer lower the $21k OTD. I only wanted to spend 17-18K OTD. Exhausted and fustrated I started leaning towards buying new which was about 25k OTD with USAA pricing.

- I widen my search nationwide and found two 2010 coupes one in Ohio and North Carolina priced at 17K. I ended up getting the one in North Carolina for 16.1K OTD thanks in part to a USAA rebate. Yes some dealers have speacial USAA discounts for used cars too.

I flew out and drove the car back to AZ for a grand total of 16.6K. I saved almost 5K by not buying locally plus I got to stop and see family on the way back. Since I got such a steal on the price I decided to buy a 100Kmi/60mth bumper2bumper warranty for 1k from USAA and now my wife is driving her dream car (which has changed now) worry free.

 

I financed it with USAA for 72months with 4.9% interest and credit score of 640ish and nothing down. The car will be paid off next march which will be 28 months. I did pass on the dealer extra's and GAP because the car Market value was 20K at the time and spent less than 18K for everything in a mini vacation to go get it.

 

I will definitely use USAA Car Buying service for my next purchase which will be a 2014 Corvette and I recommend it to everyone.


That's pretty neat

 

This is actually what I'm considering doing. Local dealerships want a bit too much for their cars, so I might shop neighboring states; time is an issue, so maybe only as far as Missouri to western PA. I'm currently pre-approved with both USAA and Capital One. I also was pondering trading in my current car (I know I know), but nobody will give me a good value on the car so I'm going to have to sell it myself; doesn't help reading the news about the guy in Canada that was burned to death after letting potential buyers test drive his truck.

 

I'm sure USAA has nothing but good entention with their car buying programe, but so far I've noticed two cars with the little icon at the top that says "$### off for USAA Members". I searched for the cars listed on Autotrader and the price was the exact same as USAA, so I don't think its a 100% mirracle worker of course I think everyone here knows better Smiley Tongue


Check it out for new cars.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 17
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Re: y Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice


@Dustink wrote:

@Volpes wrote:

@C7LT1 wrote:

My USAA Car Buying experience from Oct 2011. Its good if you are looking for a USED Car too!!!

My wife was getting ready to graduate in Dec 2011 and had told me years ago that when she graduate was going to buy a Nissan Altima Coupe! I decided to buy it for her as graduate gift.

- I started my search looking for used 2010 or 2011 in showroom condition. I found several through USAA searching the entire state of Arizona and test drove a lot of them.   

- Out 8 test drives I only found one that I was interested in buying but couldn't get the dealer lower the $21k OTD. I only wanted to spend 17-18K OTD. Exhausted and fustrated I started leaning towards buying new which was about 25k OTD with USAA pricing.

- I widen my search nationwide and found two 2010 coupes one in Ohio and North Carolina priced at 17K. I ended up getting the one in North Carolina for 16.1K OTD thanks in part to a USAA rebate. Yes some dealers have speacial USAA discounts for used cars too.

I flew out and drove the car back to AZ for a grand total of 16.6K. I saved almost 5K by not buying locally plus I got to stop and see family on the way back. Since I got such a steal on the price I decided to buy a 100Kmi/60mth bumper2bumper warranty for 1k from USAA and now my wife is driving her dream car (which has changed now) worry free.

 

I financed it with USAA for 72months with 4.9% interest and credit score of 640ish and nothing down. The car will be paid off next march which will be 28 months. I did pass on the dealer extra's and GAP because the car Market value was 20K at the time and spent less than 18K for everything in a mini vacation to go get it.

 

I will definitely use USAA Car Buying service for my next purchase which will be a 2014 Corvette and I recommend it to everyone.


That's pretty neat

 

This is actually what I'm considering doing. Local dealerships want a bit too much for their cars, so I might shop neighboring states; time is an issue, so maybe only as far as Missouri to western PA. I'm currently pre-approved with both USAA and Capital One. I also was pondering trading in my current car (I know I know), but nobody will give me a good value on the car so I'm going to have to sell it myself; doesn't help reading the news about the guy in Canada that was burned to death after letting potential buyers test drive his truck.

 

I'm sure USAA has nothing but good entention with their car buying programe, but so far I've noticed two cars with the little icon at the top that says "$### off for USAA Members". I searched for the cars listed on Autotrader and the price was the exact same as USAA, so I don't think its a 100% mirracle worker of course I think everyone here knows better Smiley Tongue


Check it out for new cars.


what do you mean? 
Message 12 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice

The new car buying service is much better than the used car service.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 17
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Re: y Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice

I see, and can understand why.

 

I'm shopping used, and its a hard life Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice


@Volpes wrote:

I see, and can understand why.

 

I'm shopping used, and its a hard life Smiley Tongue


Yeah, they are pretty lame for new cars.

 

What kind of used car are you looking for? What is your zip code?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 17
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: y Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice

@Dustink

 

The only question have about your post you say you have to be a full member to get a auto loan through USAA I have to 2 CC with them and I get preapprovals for their auto loans.  I am just a partial member.

Message 16 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Car Buying Service and car buying advice


@ezdoesit wrote:

@Dustink

 

The only question have about your post you say you have to be a full member to get a auto loan through USAA I have to 2 CC with them and I get preapprovals for their auto loans.  I am just a partial member.


Yes, I have read that you must be a full member for an auto loan. It was my original understanding that full membership was only required for insurance, but looking deeper it appears you need full membership for a loan. You should check with them on it, maybe getting a credit card, then a pre-approval is a way into a loan.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.