cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get Auto loan due to child support arrears.

tag
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unable to get Auto loan due to child support arrears.

"This is not completely accurate.  If the wife (ex) and kids are on any type of public assistance for housing, food, medical or other, then the Texas OAG will enforce a child support similar to insurance subrogation.  Texas WILL jail you regardless of your ability to pay.  Your child support will possibly be based upon your income, but there is also a "minimum" per child and age.

So, even if ex wife and husband had an agreement for less or to waive, this is moot if the ex wife and kids have filed for ANY public assistance, subsidy or other government help.  The state will subrogate their costs through the husbands child support obligations."

Exactly, 25 years ago when dead beats skipped town or refused to pay. The state would simply yawn and refuse to do anything leaving the child and parent with custody up the creek without a paddle. In that time the state ( being as cheap as it is since it doesnt tax properly ) figured out that those deadbeats were causing many undue expenditures on the state in the form of public assistance. Now people whom do try to do the right thing by being a responsible non custody parent, but run into problems, get railroaded into back credit due to the overly aggressive "zero tolerance" actions of the state's AGO. The moral of our story? If you live in Texas, become celibate if you do get married so you wont be in that boat. LOL

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lajntx wrote:

"This is not completely accurate.  If the wife (ex) and kids are on any type of public assistance for housing, food, medical or other, then the Texas OAG will enforce a child support similar to insurance subrogation.  Texas WILL jail you regardless of your ability to pay.  Your child support will possibly be based upon your income, but there is also a "minimum" per child and age.

So, even if ex wife and husband had an agreement for less or to waive, this is moot if the ex wife and kids have filed for ANY public assistance, subsidy or other government help.  The state will subrogate their costs through the husbands child support obligations."

Exactly, 25 years ago when dead beats skipped town or refused to pay. The state would simply yawn and refuse to do anything leaving the child and parent with custody up the creek without a paddle. In that time the state ( being as cheap as it is since it doesnt tax properly ) figured out that those deadbeats were causing many undue expenditures on the state in the form of public assistance. Now people whom do try to do the right thing by being a responsible non custody parent, but run into problems, get railroaded into back credit due to the overly aggressive "zero tolerance" actions of the state's AGO. The moral of our story? If you live in Texas, become celibate if you do get married so you wont be in that boat. LOL

I don't know about that.  Even though it has no income tax, Texas has extremely HIGH property taxes and sales tax.  A home of 211,000 is taxed over $6000 per year.  Sales tax is 8.25% (state and municipal).

You get taxed one way or the other.  If they have lower property tax, then most likely have income tax.  If no income tax, then property tax goes up. 

Message 12 of 30
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

6K? it sounds like your school taxes are high due to the lovely way the state finances public education. Are taking advantage of your homestead exemptions? 8.25% sales tax rate too high? Only 2-3% higher than most of the rest of the states that do have sales taxes, and certainly not the highest... move to California and pay between 8.25% & 10.25% pending the local sales tax rate. Want to really complain about sales taxes? --  move the Canada and have *EVERYTHING* purchased taxed with GST & PST and pay around 15% . Then you will understand why almost every Canadian cringes as if fingernails are being scraped across a chalkboard when you say the magic word: taxes

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my FICO scores are above 600 and I just recently had the problem of not being able to get a car loan.  The dealer I went to last night told me that my FICO score was a +/- 1!  It was the same as my daughter's, who has no credit at all.  The culprit is that child support is reporting that I'm over $7,000 in arrears with a balance of a little over $1,000, and a payment status of "seriously past due date/assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department.  All of it is completely wrong, wrong, wrong!  Like the original poster, I lost my job and was completely unaware that you could get a modification done, which sent the arrears skyrocketing.  I was paying my child support, but it wasn't the full amount that the court ordered.  Tax refunds, unemployment checks, or anything from a gov. agency was taken.  I finally found steady employment, paid my child support & arrearage down to $3,000 (from $15,000), and that's when the problems began.  It seemed as if the child support agency was in disbelief that I was almost done and reported that I still had $9,000 to pay!  I got an attorney involved and they are still reporting the same nonsense that I posted above.  I have less than $1,000 to pay in arrears, my child support will be done completely in June 2012, and it can't get here soon enough!  I work full time for the state that I live in and I'm in the National Guard!  I've written two governors about these problems, tried to get the media involved, but nobody cares.  If you're paying child support and God forgive you if you get behind, you're viewed as scum despite your efforts.  Today I have to go down to my County Clerks office and pay for a record of my child support payments to prove to the child support enforcement agency that they have committed errors!  Imagine that.  I've also disputed my credit reports, and in my opinion it's unlawful for them to report it anyway.  Child support is not a line of credit, nor is it a contract with payment terms.  It is a legal obligation forced on you by the courts without first and foremost proving that there are grounds for the court system to intervene in your family matters.  In my case, it was a scorned ex-wife who wanted complete control of my children due to our marriage not working on her terms.  She knew that I didn't like to be controlled and the state's court system was more than obliged to assist her.  I had a wonderful relationship with my children before all of this happened and now they just look at me like a paycheck while she drives around in a Lexus and lives in a condo that twice the value of my townhouse.  It's a long road to equality, but there are people out there who are fighting against these unfortunate circumstances that have brought us to this forum.  The three states that have damaged peoples lives the most are TX, IL, and MI.  Good luck to you in repairing your credit.

Message 14 of 30
emoticon
Valued Member

Dispute the debt with all three credit repoting agencies.  If they validate, dispute again.  Dispute all details of the debt. Their resources are limited as are yours.  I speak from successful experience with https://childsupport2.oag.state.tx.us/ncp/login.asp

Try it.  It works.

*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

emoticon,

Thanks for the advice.  I'm in the dispute process right now and I'm going to mail as much information as I can to all three credit agencies regarding the matter.  I'm in IL, which is just as brutal about child support as TX (where it all began for me), but thanks for the link anyway.

Message 16 of 30
creditchild
Regular Contributor

this is what amazes me. we can voice our opinons about child support issues here on my fico

but we don't bring this up to our politicians when thier out shooping to get your vote. i'm not saying everyone

takes care of their responsibilities but there are a lot of us that do and this is what we get.  our taxes get taken,

out licenses get suspended,out credit gets ruined for years,we can be put in jail,etc. i get so angry when i see and

hear stories like these. theres people that pay ridiculous amout of support,yes out kids need support but really does it

take $5,000 to $10,000 a month to take care of one child?   i mean how much do they want to hurt you? but thats the goverments

way. so next time election time rolls around bring this up to the guy thats running for govenor or mayor. friedman i wish you the best man,

i know what your going through.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

At this moment, I'm waiting to hear back from my governor.  I wrote him a very heated, but to the point letter about child support, and pretty much told him that I hope he doesn't pass it off or hide like his predecessor did.  My next move is to go and talk to my local representative with evidence in hand.  You're absolutely right, child support can be outrageous!  The system doesn't care about how the custodial parent gets to work, what kind of work (meaningful vs degrading) they find, where they live, the well being of the child, or their family well being.  It's all about the money, point blank end of story.  The dead beat parent is just as much as a myth as the typical mother on welfare.  My youngest son with my ex-wife is having a hard time in schoool.  He's an honor student, but he's getting burned out.  My second oldest tells me that his mom is running out of options and doesn't know what to do.  I told him that was a lie, and that his mom knows that she could send him to me w/ no questions and she wouldn't have to pay me a dime, but she doesn't want to lose the child support check.  The system in just about every state is biased, goes unchecked wreaking havoc on good people, and is so overwhelmed that by the time mistakes are realized, its too late to undo any damage.  A lot of politicians don't want to hear the "bad" that comes out of child support because of the good it's done for those that really need it.

Message 18 of 30
creditchild
Regular Contributor

my ex dropped my case back in 2008. the judge and DA told me i was lucky. the judge

also told me if it were left up to him he would have out his foot in my a**! i was $16k in

arrears. i told the the judge where would i get that kinda money from, outta my a**! like i said

we as non coustodial parents should protest this as a whole. me and you couldn't do it alone.

i wasn't even allowed to have visitation with my son. that was a separate issue. i'm telling you

its worst than owing the mob!

Message 19 of 30
Tazman81
Established Contributor

So, I am trying to understand what the issue is with regard to this thread?  Is it that the Child Supporting Agency is not reporting correctly?  I see some posts about people being behind on their child support so it is showing as late payments on their credit from the agency.  I don't see where this is incorrect.  It seems to be reporting accurately just like any other type of financial obligation.  My suggestion would be to talk to the Agency, and instead of using that $2000 as a down payment for a car, use it along with any tax return funds received to pay off the rears on the child support and see if the Agency can remove it from your record since you are all caught up.  Much like a PFD type of deal.

I guess I am not understanding why people are so heated about the agency putting a financial obligation like this one on your credit.  To me, it seems to be the MOST IMPORTANT financial obligation that a PARENT will ever have.  It cost money to feed a child and it makes no difference what type of job you have to make whether it be demeaning or not.  I would scrape callis from a person's foot if it meant putting food on the table for my child.  Anyhow, that's my own personal opinion, but financially I think it good that anyone behind on childsupport be reported to the credit bureaus.  Why should a parent be able to purchase nice things, new vehicles, a new home, if their child is not being taken care of.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.