Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized credit shotgunning?

tag
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Unauthorized credit shotgunning?

I am looking to buy a car and found one that does financing thru my credit union. I specifically told them I do not want my credit shotgunned and ONLY want it send to the credit union that had already pre-approved me. (There is no way the banks they sent it to even had a shot of beating out their rate anyway). Transunion was pulled 5 times which is really pissing me off because that is the one with the most inquiries as is and I was planning an app spree as soon as I got my car for CCs I need for my honeymoon.

My question is, do I have a case for unauthorized pulls so I can dispute them off? I realize these pulls are all supposed to count for one for scoring but that isn't the point. One is actually noted improperly anyway by Credco.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unauthorized credit shotgunning?

I don't think so personally: from reading the forums, if you had pre-approved financing and knew they couldn't beat the rate, why let them pull anyway?  Wasn't necessary but I've never gone down that route so I could be mistaken.

That said, counting as one is the primary consideration: underwriters aren't stupid, they'll be able to see it's from auto loan shopping and if not, there's almost always a recon ability and this is likely the easiest situation to explain away.

        
Message 2 of 5
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Well the other part is, and we discussed this, is that I haven't seen the car yet. On Thursday, I'm doing my personal inspection of it (It's used and they had gotten it in a couple days prior at their other dealership), and then buying if it checks out. And the sales rep said I'm free to walk away. What we were doing was setting everything up to speed to process up if I do buy. And I wasn't letting them pull, persay, I was letting them forward the finalized app to my CU (The loan officer at the CU said this is the best way if I go to a dealer they work with). 

Either way, I recieved an email from the dealer sales rep and he told me this is not what he intended. He said they weren't even supposed to do anything with the paperwork until Thursday and will see what he can do in the morning. If nothing else, maybe I can get them to knock some extra money off the car. 

Thanks for the response. I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Edit - Interesting to note that this is the first event that actually caused my AMEX PLUS scores to move since I've had their service. LOL

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

Well the other part is, and we discussed this, is that I haven't seen the car yet. On Thursday, I'm doing my personal inspection of it (It's used and they had gotten it in a couple days prior at their other dealership), and then buying if it checks out. And the sales rep said I'm free to walk away. What we were doing was setting everything up to speed to process up if I do buy. And I wasn't letting them pull, persay, I was letting them forward the finalized app to my CU (The loan officer at the CU said this is the best way if I go to a dealer they work with). 

Either way, I recieved an email from the dealer sales rep and he told me this is not what he intended. He said they weren't even supposed to do anything with the paperwork until Thursday and will see what he can do in the morning. If nothing else, maybe I can get them to knock some extra money off the car. 

Thanks for the response. I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Edit - Interesting to note that this is the first event that actually caused my AMEX PLUS scores to move since I've had their service. LOL

I've never heard of a bank you're preapproved with to tell you to go give paperwork they wrote up to the dealership you're buying the car from...if you're preapproved before walking into the dealership, everything finance wise is handled by the bank you selected. Not the dealership. Unfortunately once the dealership got access to your SSN, they had free range to run your credit as well.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

A lot of times a dealer can be a CUDL (Credit Union Deirect Lender) meaning that they have access to the CU systems to see approvals, write loand and submit directly for funding.  Doesn't explain why the app was shotgunned though.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.