Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Ford Credit....

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Understanding Ford Credit....

My wife and I have bought 3 vehicles through Ford Credit each ranging from 45-60 thousand dollars and each time we get 0% interest for 72 months.

The last time we did it we both had FICO scores in the mid to upper 600s, but my lowest FICO Auto 8 score was 580. It is always about 80-100 points lower than my FICO 08 score with Experien. My TU and EQ Auto are 630-645. Of course the dealership said they use Experien, which is my worst score.

All that being said, doesn't it seem odd that they would offer us 0% interest every time? I just ordered another vehicle from them and once again they were happy to do the same deal. I remember 20 years ago, before I monitored my credit, the dealers would pull my FICO Auto score and it was around 600, but they would want interest rates close to 10-12 percent. I am not complaining, I just don't understand why they seem so much more lenient with the low or no interest loans.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Understanding Ford Credit....

Ford Credit is very relationship focused. They will even reward less than stellar scores. That's if you've paid satisfactorily on previous cars with them.

Message 2 of 20
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

I like to see places that work that way.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 3 of 20
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@KeithW wrote:

My wife and I have bought 3 vehicles through Ford Credit each ranging from 45-60 thousand dollars and each time we get 0% interest for 72 months.

The last time we did it we both had FICO scores in the mid to upper 600s, but my lowest FICO Auto 8 score was 580. It is always about 80-100 points lower than my FICO 08 score with Experien. My TU and EQ Auto are 630-645. Of course the dealership said they use Experien, which is my worst score.

All that being said, doesn't it seem odd that they would offer us 0% interest every time? I just ordered another vehicle from them and once again they were happy to do the same deal. I remember 20 years ago, before I monitored my credit, the dealers would pull my FICO Auto score and it was around 600, but they would want interest rates close to 10-12 percent. I am not complaining, I just don't understand why they seem so much more lenient with the low or no interest loans.

During the pandemic, auto manufacturers like Ford are having trouble selling cars. Since no one is traveling, no one needs new cars.

So Ford and the other manufacturers need to create incentives for people to buy cars. And they need to ease their eligibility requirements, too. That's explains why Ford (and many other manufacturers) are offering 0% interest loans (free money) for unheard-of long terms such as 72 or 84 months. And why people with marginal scores can qualify for top-tier financing deals like 0% interest.

I've had two Ford loans at 0% interest recently. It's one of the silver linings of the pandemic!

Message 4 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Most captive lenders will reward repeat customers whether it's a rate discount, special financing, or exclusive cash incentives.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

Ford Credit is very relationship focused. They will even reward less than stellar scores. That's if you've paid satisfactorily on previous cars with them.

This plus the fact that since the pandemic Ford and other corporations have been able to package up car loans into asset backed securities for low interest rates. That means that the cost to Ford to subsidize your loan's interest rate to get to zero is low by historical standards.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've leased 1 vehicle from Ford and 2 from Lincoln; each of those leases pulled TransUnion. I'm in the Midwest so perhaps that's a regional thing, I'm not sure. 

But as others have already stated, Ford Motor Credit values past relationships. If you have established rapport with them you'll be fine. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow enjoy that 0%, from experience Ford even sends you Private Cash Offers you can stack into your buy if you have previously had a ford purchase from them.
Message 8 of 20
user365735
Regular Contributor

I look at it as either way they are making money because it's their car...even if it's a risk they sold a car.

I think history is just as important as the dealers relationship to the bank. I got approved with a 590 score....well 8.9%

Message 9 of 20
dunn2500
Established Contributor

manufacturers are selling cars left and right......incentives are at all time lows, inventory is low so they can charge whatever right now......its the relationship you have........been buying vehicles since last august and its worst time to buy right now (maybe not every model).......dealers that were hounding me 3 months ago have ceased to exist if i dont pay what they want.......wasnt the case short time ago

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.