Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upside Down Car Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upside Down Car Loan?

@LakeLife wrote:

... My thing was, why would I put any money down when I am getting free credit?  

There's no such thing as free credit from a car dealer. 

0% interest deals are offered in lieu of lower sales price. When a customer walks onto the lot the dealer sees four potential avenues of earning off that customer: sale of vehicle; financing of vehicle; trade-in; insurance sale.

It is naive to assume the dealer is willing to lose one profit opportunity without compensating for its loss in another.

Message 11 of 14
LakeLife
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

... My thing was, why would I put any money down when I am getting free credit?  

There's no such thing as free credit from a car dealer. 

0% interest deals are offered in lieu of lower sales price. When a customer walks onto the lot the dealer sees four potential avenues of earning off that customer: sale of vehicle; financing of vehicle; trade-in; insurance sale.

It is naive to assume the dealer is willing to lose one profit opportunity without compensating for its loss in another.

Ford Credit offered the 0% which has nothing to do with the dealership's bottom line.  Please don't call me naive, as that's very rude.  Trust me, I got as good of a deal as possible on my Focus.  You don't know any of the particulars and aren't at all knowledgable on my car buying experience.  There was no trade in, and I saved $5k off the $26k MSRP.  I also negotiated my GAP down to the lowest they would take.  

This is the last I'll say on the subject.  The OP was asking how it's possible, and I laid it out.  We're going off the tracks now.  

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Buy a desirable model- there are several models out there where a used vehicle is the same price as a new vehicle. 

2) Buy at a good time of year. My spouse bought a new Mustang GT for less than KBB and he's got a good $5000 in equity without paying any extra. 

3) Plan to drive your vehicle long enough where you aren't rolling your old loan into your new loan. 

4) Don't do Trade-ins. You lose price transparency and almost always could have sold your old car for more and gotten a better deal on a new one without the trade. 

I'm about $2000 underwater on my car because I had a trade-in that still had a loan balance. I also put nothing down on it which didn't help either. Unfortunately though, my old car was suddenly not drivable and had to be replaced in a panic. Obviously, buying a new car is more worthwhile if you drive it long enough to get a few years without a payment to save your next down payment. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your loan outside the dealership. Dealers markup your loan and ancillary products by an average of $1800 - that's more profit than they make on selling the car. You can also spend the time you need to consider your options without the F&I manager pressuring you so you know you can actually afford the loan.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.