Did you mean: 

Upside-down on auto loan at final 14% APR

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Upside-down on auto loan at final 14% APR

@Anonymous wrote:

Your car is just getting broken in.

If you can pay $800 you should be doing that now and eating up your negative equity and saving on interest.

When you're right side up, either refinance or consider a different car then.

For me personally, taking on more debt to tackle an existing debt problem makes no sense whatsoever.

+ 100, I am in my 6th Subaru.

My old "Outback" had more than 220,000 miles on it, and is still going for the neighbour that I sold it too.

I have never sold a Subaru with less than 180,000 miles on it.

Pay $800 a month save a lot of interest and drive it until it dies.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your car is just getting broken in.

If you can pay $800 you should be doing that now and eating up your negative equity and saving on interest.

When you're right side up, either refinance or consider a different car then.

For me personally, taking on more debt to tackle an existing debt problem makes no sense whatsoever.

+ 100, I am in my 6th Subaru.

My old "Outback" had more than 220,000 miles on it, and is still going for the neighbour that I sold it too.

I have never sold a Subaru with less than 180,000 miles on it.

Pay $800 a month save a lot of interest and drive it until it dies.

I always get a ton of miles out of my cars. My first '86 Mustang had 174,000 on it when I got rid of it. Got an '89 Camaro after that with 112k and drove that until almost 200k..

I have a 2002 Mustang GT that I left in FL when I moved to NYC that has 279,000, and the 2007 VW GTI I brought with me is just about to turn 130,000. (Thanks 8 years of living in Manhattan for the low mileage . .hahaha)

I should've kept my 2000 Honda Civic that I bought new. Would probably STILL be running with few hundred thousand on it by now!

Message 12 of 13
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd appreciate any advice you have for me to get out from under this somehow. Thank you.

Here's the backgroud info:

- Leased vehicle was repossessed in Jan 2019

- Filed Ch 7 BK in Feb 2019 (included debt to auto creditor) at a FICO score of 568

- Purchased a used 2014 Subaru Outback Limited in Apr 2019 under the following terms:

$2000 down payment

Financed $21,085.87 for 72 months

On a rate reduction program that started at 15.99% and is now at 14.49% with lowest possible rate at 14% for remaining life of loan

Ch 7 BK D/C in Jun 2019

Started payments in Jun 2019 at $500.00/month ($454.36 is minimum due) and have perfect payment history

Payoff amount as of 02/19/2020 is $19,339.28

My current credit scores are: 630 (EX), 660 (TU), and 670 (EQ).

My only debt at present is my auto loan.

Current KBB trade-in value average listed at $11,202 which leaves me on the hook for approx. $8,137.

Current KBB private party value average listen at 14,407which leaves me on the hook for approx. $4932.

Either way it's clear that I'm upside-down on this loan for several thousand dollars. If I were to continue paying $500/mo x 63 remaining months at the lowest rate available from this lender at 14% I believe I'd be on the hook for the remaining total of $23,749 including interest.

I need to find a way to get out of this. I'm paying through the nose on an aging vehicle with current mileage of 79,500. I drive an average of 10,000 miles/year. I'm told I do not qualify for refinancing my auto loan due to being upside-down AND because my BK was so recent. I'm also told lenders want to see a minimum of two years' perfect payment history post-BK. Would it be more advantageous to purchase a new vehicle of same make/model, apply the trade-in value of my car against the purchase price, and roll the balance of the original loan into the cost of the new loan at a lower APR? I can increase my car payment from $500 to around $800 if needbe. Also, my retired mother lives with me so we pool our money together. She also filed Ch 7 BK which was D/C in Sep 2019. She has zero debt. Her current credit scores are in the mid-600s and she's willing to co-sign on a new loan if that's the route we should go. 

I would look into a Local CU and see what there LTV is if you can find one for 120% or 125% LTV. You could refi now and have a lower rate and lower payment and just keep paying the 500 you are already payying now. I know personally I have a cu in my area that will go up to 135% LTV. Your EQ and TU are pretty decent. I am pretty sure you could cut the rate in half. But if you and mom both filed BK. I would not recommend buying a new vehicle. I would work on repairing both of your credit and building it back up no sure what the circumstances were that led you both to BK but you would like to not revisit that path again I am sure. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.