Established Member

Urgent advice needed!

I'm getting a car on finance.

Here's how my profile look like:

Income $85,000

FICO EQ: 640

Inquiries: 6

Length of credit history: 10 months

Just a few days ago my FICO was 694 but I got short of cash somehow and left a balance of $900 on one of the cards. As a result of that, my score just dropped to 640 today.

Now when the dealer would run my credit today, I won't be able to get a good interest rate. However, if I could somehow get a month, I can clear all my balances & bring my score up again to high 600's. I'm not sure if the dealer would be able to hold the car for so long since its a special pricing going on these days on this car.

What do people normally do in these situations?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blackie1
Valued Member

Re: Urgent advice needed!

Well, usually they wait, which is what you are going to have to do!!

@hussain99 wrote:

I'm getting a car on finance.

Here's how my profile look like:

Income $85,000

FICO EQ: 640

Inquiries: 6

Length of credit history: 10 months

Just a few days ago my FICO was 694 but I got short of cash somehow and left a balance of $900 on one of the cards. As a result of that, my score just dropped to 640 today.

Now when the dealer would run my credit today, I won't be able to get a good interest rate. However, if I could somehow get a month, I can clear all my balances & bring my score up again to high 600's. I'm not sure if the dealer would be able to hold the car for so long since its a special pricing going on these days on this car.

What do people normally do in these situations?

2fst4u
Message 2 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Buy the car, then refi in a couple months.

Message 3 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I'd wait. There will be others. With your short credit history...your FICO wouldn't matter anyway to the lender. Your Apr will still be high.
As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 10
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Some card companies might be able to report your balances mid cycle based on an escalation request.  Might want to look into that.  There will always be incentives for auto sales, but not waiting at most 30 days for possibly savings hundreds a year seems kind of crazy.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:

Some card companies might be able to report your balances mid cycle based on an escalation request.  Might want to look into that.  There will always be incentives for auto sales, but not waiting at most 30 days for possibly savings hundreds a year seems kind of crazy.

Depends on the dealer I think; buying in December in "last year's" model is often a non-trivial savings right off the top, I don't know if those deals are still there mid-January in all cases... though in general I would agree with you if you can afford to wait for a month, do so.

Also it very much depends on the borrower's profile, 640 Auto Enhanced from several well known lenders is nowhere close to 20%; 640 Classic first time buyer, maybe as an example... but lenders are really favorable right now, and that includes the big dealer lenders too.  If it were me and I was buying from a brand-name dealership, and I was planning on dealer financing anyway, I'd at least consider buying in December regardless of the 50 point swing... which theoretically won't be 50 points (probably smaller) difference on Auto Enhanced anyway given the relative weights.

        
Message 6 of 10
hussain99
Established Member

Ended up financing the car on 14% APR Smiley Sad

I told their CSR its very high but he said I'm financing for the first time so I'll be getting a high APR almost everywhere. He also suggested me to refinance after sometime.

Is refinancing easy? What should be my best strategy? Should I get it from the Bank I mostly deal with, CUs?
Message 7 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@hussain99 wrote:
Ended up financing the car on 14% APR Smiley Sad

I told their CSR its very high but he said I'm financing for the first time so I'll be getting a high APR almost everywhere. He also suggested me to refinance after sometime.

Is refinancing easy? What should be my best strategy? Should I get it from the Bank I mostly deal with, CUs?

The dealer could have done better. I financed for the first time like a week ago and my rate was no where near that high. You need to definitely refinance that in maybe a few months.

Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Your scores are substantially higher maiden_girl; that's a non-trivial difference in rate which can be obtained from anywhere.

Hussain: yes refinancing is very easy, and I do recommend CU's for it.  

        
Message 9 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Your scores are substantially higher maiden_girl; that's a non-trivial difference in rate which can be obtained from anywhere.

Hussain: yes refinancing is very easy, and I do recommend CU's for it.  

Alot of dealers have first time buyer programs, college graduate, and military discounts. I assumed the OP would qualify for at least one of the discounts. The dealers can always do better. They actually can call the bank up and negotiate with them on rate and payment. I always feel like the dealer could do more if they truly want to earn your business.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.