cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score do lenders use for auto loan and where do I see the scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What score do lenders use for auto loan and where do I see the scores?

Does anybody knows what score does auto lenders use from FICO such as Experian, TU or equifax? and does anyone know where to find these scores. I have an discover card that gives me my TU Score monthly and also found that the discover scoreboard gives you your Experian score. Are those scores accurate?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: What score do lenders use for auto loan and where do I see the scores?

Unlike mortgages, where pretty much all lenders use the same score model, the score model used for auto loans is dependent on the lender. Some use FICO 8, FICO 8 auto, FICO 9, older models, in house model, etc.
The scores you get from Discover are FICO 8.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears
Not really what I was looking for but thank you. I know they get the scores from FICO but what credit bureau. And also where can I see all of my 3 scores. I know I can see TU and Experian on discover if it is accurate
Message 3 of 6
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

you will have to ask that question to each lender you are interested in. And then, as mentioned above, they might not use the FICO score, but their own version. Each lender is different and you will have to ask them. The answer is above, you just need to learn how to interprete it.

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yeah, different lenders pull different credit bureaus. But two of the best lenders for low rate on auto loans are Penfed and DCU credit unions. They both use Equifax, and as Penfed gives you a free EQ Fico 9 score and DCU gives you a free EQ Fico 5 score I assume that's the score they use for auto loans.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an discover card that gives me my TU Score monthly and also found that the discover scoreboard gives you your Experian score. Are those scores accurate?

Yes, they are accurate FICO 8 scores.  TU FICO 8 and EX FICO 8. 

Whether or not your potential auto loan provider will use either of the above scores is questionable.  Your best bet is to speak with the potential auto loan lender and simply ask them what score/model they use for loan consideration.  Depending on what they tell you, there may be a source for that score.  Maybe not.  MyFICO here provides just about every FICO score there is to my knowledge for about $30.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.