Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to list as Housing Payment on auto application? Don't want to raise a flag

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to list as Housing Payment on auto application? Don't want to raise a flag

Im about to apply for auto loan for a Tesla.  Married within the past year and moved into a house my wife had previously purchased.  The home is still in her name and she pays the mortgage.  I cover pretty much all other expenses. . . Smiley Happy

Since the mortgage loan won't show up on my credit report, should I list as "living with relatives"?  Or "rent" and put an appropriate amount?  "Own" - Full amt?

I am worried about the automated process raising a flag if I submit something contradictory to what will show up on a report.

Thanks, BB

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: What to list as Housing Payment on auto application? Don't want to raise a flag

Is your income high enough that your car payment & other expenses are below 30% of income? If so, since you're 'covering all other expenses' I suggest you put down rent and list a reasonable amount that won't raise a red flag. You're covering all other expenses can be reasonable considered you paying your wife rent.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to list as Housing Payment on auto application? Don't want to raise a flag

FICO 8 - 762

FICO AUTO 8 - 759

FICO AUTO 2 - 769

INCOME 210k

CURRENT AUTO 758/mth

ADDITIONAL NEW AUTO 800/mth

CC BALANCES $5k

CHARGE CARD BALANCES $32K

MNTHLY PYMTS INCL CURRENT AUTO $1,100

"RENT" $1200

Thoughts?

Message 3 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Own.  You are married.  Shared assets.

If including her income, full mortgage payment.

If not, half mortgage payment.

Thats the rule I use.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent the question to Tesla financing and got the response below. . . . . Interesting.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for reaching out.

If the mortgage is in your spouse's name, you would not need to include the mortgage as it is not part of your obligation. Lender will be able to view the debt obligation when they access the credit bureau. You may select live with relative.

Best,

MZ
Message 5 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

LoL!  How ridiculous.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which part is rediculous?
Message 7 of 8
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

I think that's a good thing. Shows you have more income and will lower your debt to income ratio. I plan to do the same.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.