cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which NADA value is used when refinancing?

tag
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Which NADA value is used when refinancing?

I am hoping to refinance my car in the future. I need to get it under the 120% LTV threshold first though. Do they use the clean retail value? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Re: Which NADA value is used when refinancing?

Depends on the lender I think but for DCU they use clean retail.
EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 2 of 6
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Well that's good since I am hoping to refinance with them!

thanks!

Message 3 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I am ignorant about auto values.  How does NADA values compare with Kelly Blue Book?  Is NADA the one most lenders use?  Also these days are you usually permitted to finance like 110% or 125% of the value or is it like 80%, 90% or 100%?

I hear a lot about auto dealers rolling negative equity into new loans but I don't understand how it works.

When I bought my last car I had to put down 10% or something.  It was a Cap 1 blank check loan (pre-BK7 a few years).  

Message 4 of 6
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Not sure about the first two questions but it seems most credit unions will finance up to 120% LTV. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I am ignorant about auto values.  How does NADA values compare with Kelly Blue Book?  Is NADA the one most lenders use?  Also these days are you usually permitted to finance like 110% or 125% of the value or is it like 80%, 90% or 100%?

I hear a lot about auto dealers rolling negative equity into new loans but I don't understand how it works.

When I bought my last car I had to put down 10% or something.  It was a Cap 1 blank check loan (pre-BK7 a few years).  

The NADA book is what's used by  the vast majority of lenders bad typically has values lower than Kelly Blue Book which is not used that much in the auto financing world.  In 17 years in the auto business I never saw one at all.  Another book that is used the Black Book which most dealers use to determine trade in value.  The values in the Black Book are based on what similar vehicles are selling for at wholesale auctions.

Rolling in negative equity is very simple.  Let's assume you owe $14,000 and the trade in value is $12,000.  That means you have negative equity of $2,000. You are about to purchase a new car that has a MSRP of $25,000 and thru negotiations you have brought the price down to $21,000.  The dealer will then roll in your negative equity and your effective price for the new car is $23,000.  That way you're still below the value of what the financing company will approve.  The percentage of LTV varies depending on new vs used and what finance company is being used and your overall credit.

Hope this helps. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.