cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one first: consolidation loan or auto loan?

tag
rross
New Contributor

Which one first: consolidation loan or auto loan?

If I consolidate some high interest loans (which would drop my monthly payment by $200), how would that affect an auto loan in the near-future? (Like within 3 months of getting the consol. loan)

I'm sure the lower monthly payment obligations would look better, BUT would it raise a red flag that I recently opened a new loan?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

Re: Which one first: consolidation loan or auto loan?

@rross wrote:

If I consolidate some high interest loans (which would drop my monthly payment by $200), how would that affect an auto loan in the near-future? (Like within 3 months of getting the consol. loan)

I'm sure the lower monthly payment obligations would look better, BUT would it raise a red flag that I recently opened a new loan?

It will lower your DTI ratio, thereby increasing the amount you can be loaned, however the new loan will lower your AAoA and decrease your credit score.

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@rross wrote:

Also you need to be careful in terms of how the loans are affecting your revolving utilization.    Are they reporting as installment loans or revolving ?     You don't want to drastically increase your revolving utilization as it could negatively impact your FICO score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Also need to know what your scores are at, what kind of loans are being consolidated, where you're getting the consolidation loan, etc.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.