cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which reporting agency to car dealers usually use?

tag
SecondToLastDraftDodger
Established Member

Which reporting agency to car dealers usually use?

I ask because the there's a difference in auto scores. EXP and EQ socre me at just a bit over 700 and TU scores me at almost 800 (TU includes an old closed account the EXP and EQ don't, giving me a significantly longer credit history on the TU score).

It seems I read once that car dealers will take whichever score is highest. Obviously, I would like the TU to be the score they use. Is there any way to ensure this? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Which reporting agency to car dealers usually use?

Message 2 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It depends on the lender. Credit Unions like to use EQ, but can use others, for example. So my pre-approval with NFCU was a EQ pull. I ended up financing with LFS and they pulled all my scores and financed me using the highest score. I did, however, tell the dealer to not shotgun me since I already had 2 approvals and my reports were frozen. They felt they could beat my rates with captive financing and I thawed them for a single pull. They were right. 

Message 3 of 6
dunn2500
Established Contributor

they all use different ones, its up to the bank and who they use

Message 4 of 6
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

When will Auto 10 start being used?  Of course all of mine are over 800!  smh

Message 5 of 6
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@SecondToLastDraftDodger wrote:

I ask because the there's a difference in auto scores. EXP and EQ socre me at just a bit over 700 and TU scores me at almost 800 (TU includes an old closed account the EXP and EQ don't, giving me a significantly longer credit history on the TU score).

It seems I read once that car dealers will take whichever score is highest. Obviously, I would like the TU to be the score they use. Is there any way to ensure this? Or is it just luck of the draw?

As others have said, different dealerships and different financing companies use different bureaus.  Last year when I bought my Tacoma the both dealership and Toyota Finance used EX.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.