Re: Who does 84+ month car loans

It's called buy used or save more.

Message 11 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's called buy used or save more.

This. If you can't afford $50k for a new SUV or truck, then a new SUV or truck is out of your price range. You get to buy a 5 or 10 year old used model.

Increase your down payment or accept that you're on a beater budget.

Message 12 of 28
SarahJo
Established Contributor

I absolutely accept that the rapid increase of new vehicle pricing directly relates to 7 year auto loans existing, they are not cheap when you want brand new buttons and seats without someone else's french fries under them...and that's not by accident.  I'm not going to get into that now, however.

I grew up in a car dealership, started doing inventory on Lincolns at age 9, and man things have changed.  I remember the day my father said that the lease is going to be the end of the average American being able to out-right own their own vehicle, and makes sense looking back. The student loan crisis in now, the car loan crisis is here and going to get worse...

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 13 of 28
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I think a lot of you aren't realizing how the market has changed. Thanks to SUVs, cars are being phased out everywhere. A mid-size starts in the high $20k and full-size starting in the low $50k. Add in desirable features, or even something simple like 4x4, and a full size truck or SUV can get to $80k nowadays. The average person can't afford them and their options are slowly dwindling. Even cars are starting to creep up with the average price being low $30k.  84 month loans will soon be commonplace and I suspect subscription services will become popular. Knock that term length all you want, but it's here to stay.

It's here to stay but not because of car prices.

Cars have an average rise of 1.7% per year from 1952 to date

Inflation and income numbers are almost twice as large.

Cars cost less in relationship to pay and inflation than they ever have.

Not related to cars costing more.

The long loans are to sell more cars.

It's called greed not need.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

I remember when the longest car loans were 4 years.

Required 20% down, plus you had to pay license and tax out of pocket.

You were never upside down, and owned it with many years left of good use.

Yeah, I remember when cars were $9,999 too. Not so anymore, as well them not being reliable as they once were. 

While I also think 84 months is too long for a vehicle, it's not the average consumer's fault that automakers keep putting in "extras" to make them cost more and more. $80K for a regular Ford pickup these days? It's alos true a person can buy used, but as we progress more and more into cars with so much electronics. So becomes more problems with used and the longevity of said electronics. It can cost upwards of $5-8K to replace soem of those now. Which if happend to fail after you bought said vehicle for $10-15K now has an added expence that most cannot absorb in the cost of a "used" car. 

It a very differentera than cards of the 70's or 80's, and them being able to be fixed in your own garage.

That said, even if you get a car at 0% for 84 months, it likely will never have positve equity due to depreciation. However, it doesn't mean you have to carry teh full balance for 84 months. You can always make double and triple payments. And if you feel that you'll never trade it in, I guess it doesn't matter. It mainly about what's right/fits for that individual.

Message 15 of 28
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I don't have an opinion as to whether its a good idea or bad idea as I believe that may simply be the individuals choice.  Reducing monthly financial obligations may be a sound reason.  Whether one should or not, I believe many people aren't really looking at the total cost when they simply need a manageable payment in most situations.  For me personally, I think different with a MTG loan, not so much a car loan.

I know we're talking about an 84m but have heard the same sentiment regarding 72.  I chose a 72 month loan , simply to get payments that should I lose my well paying job I could still pay on less income.  Even though shorter terms would have been a lower interest rate, the interest for me was relatively low and should something happen, feeling more comfortable/secure that I likely wouldn't lose my vehicle with the lower payment  was worth the extra money for me.  Purchased 9/2016 and I've paid much more a month which has pushed my payments out to 4/2022.  If I make the min payment each month going forward it will be paid for no later than 9/2020 (48m). 

When I had unexpected expense I was technically able to make less than the monthly payment or no payment while I worked on reducing that CC balance much quicker.  Not that it's important for me at this point but this positively impacts my installment loan% which positively impacts my score.  

Said all that to say, it may work for some.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 16 of 28
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

Reducing monthly financial obligations may be a sound reason.  Whether one should or not, I believe many people aren't really looking at the total cost when they simply need a manageable payment in most situations.

That's the point that the others are trying to make, and you actually said it yourself perfectly. People are not looking at total cost and that is not financially wise.

I am all for reducing monthly financial obligations. By purchasing a cheaper item, not by stretching out how long I am going to be in debt. But that is just me.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 17 of 28
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Trudy wrote:

Reducing monthly financial obligations may be a sound reason.  Whether one should or not, I believe many people aren't really looking at the total cost when they simply need a manageable payment in most situations.

That's the point that the others are trying to make, and you actually said it yourself perfectly. People are not looking at total cost and that is not financially wise.

I am all for reducing monthly financial obligations. By purchasing a cheaper item, not by stretching out how long I am going to be in debt. But that is just me.

This is my point. It's an individual's choice for what works for them.  Sound advice as I get the math which I think most people get and it's obvious you'll be paying more.  But if it works for one's specific needs or situation then outside of the obvious, it works for that person.  How much equity do you really get out of a car? Some people are not looking to trade in and up regularly.  People choose to pay for a lot of things for various reasons that others wont.  Why not wait until one's scores are peak before buying?  That will save money.  I'm sure not everyone who purchased a vehicle was in the top tier.  I chose to pay a little more in interest for the presumed security in having a manageable payment should things go south.  Kinda like insurance for me.  I'm not encouraging longer terms, just saying a persons specific circumstances, needs and future plans may be the reason one chooses it.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 18 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

This is my point. It's an individual's choice for what works for them.  Sound advice as I get the math which I think most people get and it's obvious you'll be paying more.  But if it works for one's specific needs or situation then outside of the obvious, it works for that person.  How much equity do you really get out of a car? Some people are not looking to trade in and up regularly.  People choose to pay for a lot of things for various reasons that others wont.  Why not wait until one's scores are peak before buying?  That will save money.  I'm sure not everyone who purchased a vehicle was in the top tier.  I chose to pay a little more in interest for the presumed security in having a manageable payment should things go south.  Kinda like insurance for me.  I'm not encouraging longer terms, just saying a persons specific circumstances, needs and future plans may be the reason one chooses it.

I think the key takeaway from all this is that even if a decision works for an invidivual person in that one case, it doesn't mean it was a good or wise decision. People make terrible decisions all the time that end up working out with little or no harm in the end, but it doesn't change the fact those were terrible choices.

Message 19 of 28
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Alright, well I guess none of us know your situation so I'll just answer the question as well as I can lol

I believe most dealerships will go to that term. When I bought my Kia last year, the dealership had that as an option. I also looked at Hyundai and they offered it as well. Even if they don't offer it upfront on the little payment sheet, if you ask, they most likely will have it. 

Good luck to you in your car buying! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.