Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are dealers raising prices?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was watching several used minivans and the dealers have bumped the prices. One was by a bit over 3k. Taking something from 12.5k and making it almost 16k seems ridiculous and I am not understanding the reasoning. It is several different dealers to, not just one. The values of the vehicles are under 12k to. Anyone know what the deal is? I also went to purchase one and the dealer would not sell it to me for the 12.5k that was listed up to the day before even after I showed the screen shots I took of it and them admitting it had been raised for whatever reason. Bank wouldn't even finance it for their price saying it was to high for the vehicle. What gives?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why are dealers raising prices?

It's income tax season and the vultures are preying on the financially weak.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's income tax season and the vultures are preying on the financially weak.

+1

Dealers can definitely smell those W-2' printing.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am going to need to wait then to buy until April? May?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So I am going to need to wait then to buy until April? May?

Have you tried looking at dealerships an hour or two away from your home?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have. Seems to be an all over deal of increase.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the car buying apps. You can see exactly where you need to go to get the price you want ane what the real value of the car is. I like cargurus but they are all very similar.

Also we just came out of "end of year" season which typically see prices slashed. The prices could be going back up to their normal level.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In some case I believe that. But these are well over KBB at this point vs slightly over the high end. I am pre qualified up to 60k. Bank took vehicle and price and said no. Have to put cash down on it as they would not finance it at that price. Van was bumped from 12.5 to 16k. 12.5, bank said yes. I can't see the normal prices being so high the bank says no to financing.

Also figuring something else out. When you are pre qualified with cap one navigator, the dealers do not like it. Their attitudes completely change when they realize you are set and they can't pad you. This last one was saying he would put me in 350-400 a month payments. I am sitting at 200 a month and less per cap one on it. The games they play....
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

all about the money, 

and with tax refund time, prime time to move cars!

For some buyers it is the only time they can manage a down payment, and squeeze out over their budget 

or over what the bank is willing to lend.

The dealer will take cash for the bump they just did.

And they will also bump the apr up a few notches too.

If you can wait it out, that is good, other than that you have to search hard or private sale 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely at the end of the year is the best time to get cars, because some dealers are still trying to make their yearly quota's so they'll let some cars go for way less. But definitley try a private seller as well that way you can neogiate, no hidden fees, could get it for cheaper than you expected. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.