cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying down my Credit Card increase my Fico Auto 8 score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will paying down my Credit Card increase my Fico Auto 8 score?

I currently have a Fico Score 8 of Eq- 664 Trans - 664 Experian -629 and Auto 8 of Eq -616 Trans -624 Exp - 620,  When I check the simulator on MyFico it shows a 41 point increase when I pay off my only credit card with a balance which is about $4500. No other balances on my other 2 credit cards. My question is will paying this credit card off also increase my Fico Auto 8 scores? And if so how much will it effect it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will paying down my Credit Card increase my Fico Auto 8 score?

Better to let a very small balance report. When all 3 are 0 you get 0 points for revolving lines of credit.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Better to let a very small balance report. When all 3 are 0 you get 0 points for revolving lines of credit.

Will doing that increase the Auto scores as well?

Message 3 of 6
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

You don't say what your limits are for those cards, but I suspect that lowering your revolving balance from $4.5k below 9% total utilization and for that individual card will have a noticeable impact across the board.

Getting below utilization percentages of 49%, 29% and 9% generally improves scores.  If lenders see that you're not straining the limits you already have, they're more likely to view your profile favorably.

Message 4 of 6
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

I have to agree if you have a good utilization percentage generally it means you're not living on your credit cards so it is more favorable that you will get the auto loan debt to income plays a big part
Message 5 of 6
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I learned to let 4%-7% report. I paid off 30L in reporting balances and my scores fell from around 10-15 points by doing so. I was so shocked but once I started letting smal balances report they leveled back out and also started to increase slowly.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.