Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will refinancing hurt my credit?

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Will refinancing hurt my credit?

Does refinancing hurt your credit report besides the fact that it's a new account? Is the current loan marked as paid off? I would think the new lender is reported as a totally new account right? I'm not to exited to see how much my scores drop after this new account reports lol.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Will refinancing hurt my credit?

While you may get a ding for a new account and an INQ in the short term, in the long term you will be fine.  A Refi is always a smart move regardless of what happens to your CR.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Newbie2018wrote:
Does refinancing hurt your credit report besides the fact that it's a new account? Is the current loan marked as paid off? I would think the new lender is reported as a totally new account right? I'm not to exited to see how much my scores drop after this new account reports lol.

You should not lose a lot of points for refinancing your auto loan.  Your old loan will be marked as paid off.  You are saving money refinancing so losing a few points of your score should not outweigh the smart move you are making here.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I am curious to know how much of a hit your CR took after the refi.  I am trying to rebuild my credit and refinanced my auto loan withouth thinking about any negative repercussions.  Now I'm waiting to find out when everything will hit my report.

Message 4 of 5
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I believe only about 5 points for the inquiry but i believe about 20 points total because it reported before the old loan was reported closed.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.