cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With my credit profile, Buy or Lease?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: With my credit profile, Buy or Lease?

@Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:

I've been browsing the forums for a while, and I have seen a disturbing-yet-common trend: people seem to be buying way too much car than they can comfortably afford.  Why on earth would one want to put themselves $19K in debt for a new car if they make $2200 a month?  A car payment on that would be $600 a month or so at 8%, no?  I realize that most people need a car, but why try to max out your outlay every month?

I would hope you have, at the minimum, $5k for emergencies saved (cash), and you are putting 15% towards some sort of retirement fund.  Please take my advice that a new car is not worth sacrificing your financial stability.  I see so many of my friends doing the same thing, and it's a 50/50 crapshoot as to when they will miss a payment due to the inevitable "life happening" occurrence.

That being said, I also believe new cars are a huge waste of money, and have never purchased one in my 24 years of owning cars.

Am I crazy?

I think that every person is different.  An 18k Hyndai Elantra is not what I would consider a "high end" car.  The price of cars has gone up, and folks need a reliable car to get back and forth to work and make money.

The availability of nice used cars at a reasonable price has gone down. I never bought a new car until this year... because the car I was looking at would cost almost as much used as it would new, and would not have the features that I wanted.

Also, people have different values.  I grew up in a lot of different places, but the one thing that was the same was the car. Therefore, I have learned through my experiences to become very attached to the family car.  I literally cried when the car we replaced was totalled by the insurance company Smiley Sad

To an extent, cars are a necessity, not a luxury. For young people starting out, it is easy to get over your head by getting too much car, but the OP in this thread is not considering a luxury brand, nor is the OP considering a high end sedan.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:

I've been browsing the forums for a while, and I have seen a disturbing-yet-common trend: people seem to be buying way too much car than they can comfortably afford.  Why on earth would one want to put themselves $19K in debt for a new car if they make $2200 a month?  A car payment on that would be $600 a month or so at 8%, no?  I realize that most people need a car, but why try to max out your outlay every month?

I would hope you have, at the minimum, $5k for emergencies saved (cash), and you are putting 15% towards some sort of retirement fund.  Please take my advice that a new car is not worth sacrificing your financial stability.  I see so many of my friends doing the same thing, and it's a 50/50 crapshoot as to when they will miss a payment due to the inevitable "life happening" occurrence.

That being said, I also believe new cars are a huge waste of money, and have never purchased one in my 24 years of owning cars.

Am I crazy?

I think that every person is different.  An 18k Hyndai Elantra is not what I would consider a "high end" car.  The price of cars has gone up, and folks need a reliable car to get back and forth to work and make money.

The availability of nice used cars at a reasonable price has gone down. I never bought a new car until this year... because the car I was looking at would cost almost as much used as it would new, and would not have the features that I wanted.

Also, people have different values.  I grew up in a lot of different places, but the one thing that was the same was the car. Therefore, I have learned through my experiences to become very attached to the family car.  I literally cried when the car we replaced was totalled by the insurance company Smiley Sad

To an extent, cars are a necessity, not a luxury. For young people starting out, it is easy to get over your head by getting too much car, but the OP in this thread is not considering a luxury brand, nor is the OP considering a high end sedan.

+1

I didnt know you could even buy a car under $20k these days.

*8/10/13
Message 12 of 14
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I usually buy b/c I put quite a bit of miles on my vehicles and we like to travel and have family stretched across the states. Usually though the smarter choice is: you buy things that appreciate in value, and lease things that depreciate in value. You just gotta do whats best for you particular situation, and if you like getting a new car every 2 yrs then a lease would probably be a better option.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 13 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

+1000 "You typically buy things that appreciate in value"...exactly. My 2004 Dodge Stratus isn't even worth $2000 now when I bought it new at $23K MSRP and outrageous interest due to bad credit back then. Worst investment I ever made! LOL!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.