Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst car buying experience ever!

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Worst car buying experience ever!

Avoid Car Pros Carson like the plague. I went here to purchase a new vehicle. Went in with a preapproval from Chase at 2.50%. Car pros said they could beat that rate and got me approved with Kia Finance at 1.90% for a 2014 Kia Forte Lx. Walked out of the dealership only having put 1k down and financed 17k for 60 months at 299 a month. The very next day a sales rep called me to tell me my original contact was void. Rep did not provide a reason as to why my original contract was no longer valid and said I needed to come back to resign another contract or return the vehicle. The new contract they drew up ended up costing more to finance the vehicle than what was in my original contract (more requested down, higher APR , and higher vehicle cost). They threatened to repossess the vehicle if I didn't sign the new contract. I repeatedly refused. The finance folks would not let up until I signed this new contract but I wouldn't. The finance people left the room for several minutes and when they reappeared they said my original contract was valid again and I'm free to leave. The sales reps and finance department deliberately insulted my intelligence and wasted my time. They were rude and disrespectful and really give KIA a bad name. Do not go here if you want to be disrespected. I immediately contacted Kia Consumer Affairs and reported the dealership for their practices. They are currently under investigation as I'm not the only person who has reported these practices about this dealership to Kia.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Worst car buying experience ever!

Sorry to hear of another bad car buying story. This is a common old trick still used a lot in the auto world.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 2 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I never experienced it first hand! It was a nightmare!

Message 3 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

This is indeed a waste of time and nerves... ...but I am so glad you did not give in and reported them   Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
coterotie
Established Contributor

Way to stick to your guns.  I would probably not have been as nice as you as he would have needed to see a proctologist to remove the keys and my foot.  In all seriousness, I would have tossed them the keys, the contract marked void due to fraud and made a recording of the whole thing to send to the state AG.

Then taken a cab home.

Message 5 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@coterotie wrote:

Way to stick to your guns.  I would probably not have been as nice as you as he would have needed to see a proctologist to remove the keys and my foot.  In all seriousness, I would have tossed them the keys, the contract marked void due to fraud and made a recording of the whole thing to send to the state AG.

Then taken a cab home.

^^^yep. If more people did as coterotie states above, this auto finance gamesmanship would stop. Problem is, most people don't know how to walk away when they are being mistreated by the F&I guy at a dealership. Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

This happens quite a bit for dealerships that deal with mass-market economy vehicles.

The salesman and sales manager wants to get the deal done in a hurry and have you drive off the car before you go to another dealership to price match. And sometimes if you are shopping after-hours where the bank or manufacturer's financial services is closed, there's no real way for them to process the lease / loan paperwork until the next business day if you are not automatically approved by the system. Even if you are, some lenders require paperwork to be verified by underwriters before the loan is valid.

Not knowing whether the loan would be approved, some reckless managers would still go ahead with the sale before even hearing back from the bank, simply because they think you should have no problems getting approved for that rate, based on their "gut feeling" or past experiences.

Then the next day, they find out the bank declined the loan, and the drama begins....

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
This happens quite a bit for dealerships that deal with mass-market economy vehicles.

The salesman and sales manager wants to get the deal done in a hurry and have you drive off the car before you go to another dealership to price match. And sometimes if you are shopping after-hours where the bank or manufacturer's financial services is closed, there's no real way for them to process the lease / loan paperwork until the next business day if you are not automatically approved by the system. Even if you are, some lenders require paperwork to be verified by underwriters before the loan is valid.

Not knowing whether the loan would be approved, some reckless managers would still go ahead with the sale before even hearing back from the bank, simply because they think you should have no problems getting approved for that rate, based on their "gut feeling" or past experiences.

Then the next day, they find out the bank declined the loan, and the drama begins....

That's exactly what happened! I mean I have decent credit...not the best credit but fairly decent for someone my age. But for all my troubles...a person from Kia Consumer Affairs called me to apologize for the problem. They also sent out a $50 VISA Gift card stating "we apologize because you had to experience some speed bumps early on in your ownership." I used it for gas. Haha.

Message 8 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Best way to avoid this in the future is to pick up the car after 1-2 business days after you sign the paperwork Smiley Tongue just explain you need time to get rid of your old car to free up garage space or cook up some excuse.

Otherwise, just avoid finalizing on the paperwork in the evenings or weekends when the banks / financial services are closed.

But yea at least u got to really test drive the car to know if its really right for u.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Best way to avoid this in the future is to pick up the car after 1-2 business days after you sign the paperwork Smiley Tongue just explain you need time to get rid of your old car to free up garage space or cook up some excuse.

Otherwise, just avoid finalizing on the paperwork in the evenings or weekends when the banks / financial services are closed.

But yea at least u got to really test drive the car to know if its really right for u.

It's funny because when I went to the dealership I was driving a really old borrowed car not really intending to buy a car but I really needed one since my newer car got totaled in a low speed accident. A 2012 Chevy ran into my 2011 Hyundai at 40 miles an hour...totaled my car out! Anyway I wanted to leave the car there to go home and pick it up later but they were all really insistant about taking the car home (probably should have left it anyway) But I was like mehhh...its mine so I guess. But yea..I actually don't like the car all that much now but I don't hate it either. I was considering doing a trade for another car brand like a Mazda 3 in a few months when my credit is in a better place.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.