cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth getting an auto loan I don't truly need?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth getting an auto loan I don't truly need?

Hi, I am working on my credit; my scores are 672, 672 and 731 (Fico Score 8).  Thing is, this doesn't reflect my financial reality; I make a lot of money, have a lot of money in the bank, don't have much need for credit, which I guess is one of the reasons my scores are low?  I made one late payment 6 years ago, and I have one collection which is legitimate because I forgot to return my cable modem when I moved a couple of years ago and apparently they couldn't get ahold of me.  I paid it as soon as I found out of course, but not much I can do about that now.  I only have one credit card from AmEX (a Blue Cash) because I use my Platinum (revolving) for most stuff and they won't increase the limit on my Blue Cash because they say I don't have good enough credit.  I've been told that I should have an auto loan (I should mention I don't have a mortgage or a student loan).  I have been considering buying a new gas scooter, total purchase price about $4000.  I'm considering getting a loan for it, even though I don't actually need a loan, just to get my score up, and making the term 5 years or whatever just so I can show I'm making the payments.  Is the increase from having that loan greater than the hit I would take for applying for it?  Will I get dinged because that $4000 will look like a big proportion of my credit?  And is that even bad?  Also while I'm at it, should I get another credit card?  Again, I honestly don't need it, but I will if it improves my credit.  So many questions.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Re: Worth getting an auto loan I don't truly need?

You need more credit cards on your credit report, and a record of making the payments on time.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question number one: Do you know your auto-enhanced scores? I'm not sure what brand of cars you are looking at and the price range. Those two things will--JUST FOR STARTERS. FYI: it's not really about your credit score, it's what is in your credit report. Most financing companies will NOT look at collections in your report. Car financing company looks at how consistently you pay installment loans, ESPECIALLY past and current car loans. Based on those FICO 8 scores you stated, your auto enhanced scores should be in those range, but let me not speculate. Please get the FICO 3B reports on MyFICO and you will get all versions of your scores. Let me put this in perspective: I just got approved on February 16th for a 2017 auto loan through audi financial for a C.P.O audi s6 at 5.2% interest rate with an EXPERIAN auto score of 635. They only requested $5000 down. So, if you have money in the bank, that's a plus. Next, here are two important things that car financing companies look for, and can ultimately be the deciding factors in an approval: employment STABILITY and residency STABILITY. How long have you been at the same address? At the same job? We tend to get caught up with credit scores and ignore those two key factors. I will also add that the credit agency used may vary by your location; if you are NYC, audi only uses EXPERIAN and TRANSUNION. Much of what I'm stating here comes from what I've learned from the forum. Keep reading. Don't rush the process. Do your homework and you'll find that it was worth the time taken. Please come back and let us know how things are going.
Good luck
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thanks for responding.  My auto enhanced scores are generally higher than the FICO 8, but I've also been warned that nobody uses those anyway.  To be clear: I'm not actually trying to get an auto loan as, like, the main goal.  I'm thinking about using an auto loan as a stepping stone towards simply improving my credit, with an eye towards using that credit someday for either an emergency or to buy a house.  Basically this is just "credit rating hygiene", if you will.  I could pay cash for the scooter easily if I needed to.

It seems that getting a new credit card is the best move I can make at this point, so that's what I'm going to do first.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so we are on the same page: finance companies use auto fico scores; I'm not talking about credit karma, sesame, wallethub, etc. If you are looking to buy a home, you mortgage lender will pull your mortgage scores and it's generally version 4 or 5 from EQUIFAX Beacon 5 and TRANSUNION risk v.4. I've just been through the process: for my car they use EXPERIAN FICO auto version 8 and for my mortgage it was my middle fico mortgage score EQUIFAX V.5. Both times the scores they pull were precisely what is on your 3B fico report.
Just a heads-up: Yes, you are right about getting a credit card to diversify your credit profile. However , just remember to keep your utilization below 5% every billing cycle.
Good luck
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need an auto loan necessarily. Any loan will help your score. Go to your bank and get a small personal loan or secured loan. Or use a service like "Self-Lender". If you decide to finance the scooter (don't worry about "auto enhanced scores)". Its a $4,000 scooter. If the scooter is new no lender is going to harass about the difference between your FICO 8 and your Auto Enhanced FICO. They will just loan you the money. Go into your bank and talk to someone in person. They will be able to see you have the money in the bank and will not hesitate to loan you the money.

Also as the above poster said you need 2 more cards to help your score. Anything above 3 has little impact on your score.

With the scores you posted you can get 2 more cards easily. Discover will give you a card and so will Capital One. Both companies have prequalify sites that will tell you which cards tell will approve you for, before you decide you want to apply and take the hard pull.

You could just go with one other card and the loan. Wait for your score to boost then you would be in range for an limit increase from Amex. Also you will start to get offers from Chase, Citi etc.

Message 6 of 8
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am working on my credit; my scores are 672, 672 and 731 (Fico Score 8).  ...  I've been told that I should have an auto loan (I should mention I don't have a mortgage or a student loan).  I have been considering buying a new gas scooter, total purchase price about $4000.  I'm considering getting a loan for it, even though I don't actually need a loan, just to get my score up, and making the term 5 years or whatever just so I can show I'm making the payments.  Is the increase from having that loan greater than the hit I would take for applying for it?  Will I get dinged because that $4000 will look like a big proportion of my credit?  And is that even bad?  Also while I'm at it, should I get another credit card?  Again, I honestly don't need it, but I will if it improves my credit.  So many questions.  Smiley Happy

It would be generally correct to say that credit scores have little to do with financial health, and are predominantly about payment history and lender risk.  

Having an installment loan will make a significant impact on the Credit Mix portion of the FICO scoring models, if it is actively being paid and is of a low risk type, such as an auto loan.  In order to gain the greatest reward from having an installment loan on your record, it should be an active account that has current payments, and it should have a remaining balance of 8.9% or less of the original loan amount.  If the loan terms allow you to maintain the full 5 year payment cycle and pre-pay the balance down to a very low percentage very soon after you get it, this will result in a scoring boost that you can maintain.  If pre-paying is not allowed, you end up paying significant amounts of interest, and if the following months minimum payment due does not get reduced to zero for pre-payment or the life of the loan is shortened by pre-payment, the usefulness of the loan for boosting your scores will be very brief.

As was mentioned above, there are other loan types that allow this type of payment manipulation, and you can count on the terms being favorable for this purpose.  Secured credit builder type loans from a credit union are usually used for this purpose, but it may be possible that a small auto loan can do the same for you, if it is actualy classified as an auto loan, and the payment terms allow the majority of the balance to be paid right away, but the length of the loan is maintained.  With these terms, you should see a ~30 point boost to your FICO scores for the life of that loan. 

As for the number of revolving accounts, if you have two revolving (card) accounts already, adding a third one will help slightly, but the main function of having 3 or more revolving accounts is to allow balances on one account without receiving a 'penalty' to your score.  For example if you have two, and one has a balance, half or more of your accounts have a balance and you will lose points --- but, with three accounts, you are able to allow a small amount (<8.9% utilization) show up on one account while the other two show zero balance and you will actually receive a modest increase to your score (commonly referred to as AZEO, "all zero except one").  Similarly if you want to be able to maintain a balance on two accounts, you will need 5 to avoid this "half or more" 'penalty'.  I am not advocating paying interest, just allowing a small quantity to be reported so creditors can see that you are using availalable credit -- it should always be paid in full to avoid interest, it is merely helpful to allow a short term balance to show up on a monthly statement.

Message 7 of 8
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Hi! Thanks for responding. My auto enhanced scores are generally higher than the FICO 8, but I've also been warned that nobody uses those anyway. To be clear: I'm not actually trying to get an auto loan as, like, the main goal. I'm thinking about using an auto loan as a stepping stone towards simply improving my credit, with an eye towards using that credit someday for either an emergency or to buy a house. Basically this is just "credit rating hygiene", if you will. I could pay cash for the scooter easily if I needed to. It seems that getting a new credit card is the best move I can make at this point, so that's what I'm going to do first.
Short answer: Yes, opening 1 or 2 new credit cards AND a new installment loan, even if you don't need them, will greatly help your credit long-term. Credit mix and number of accounts are both factors in FICO scoring. The ideal credit mix is several credit cards, at least one auto loan, and at least one mortgage loan. If you can handle all these different accounts, that's a sign that you are an experienced, responsible borrower, and your scores will go up accordingly. A cousin of mine is very financially responsible, but always ran everything on cash--no credit cards, no auto loans. When he first started looking for a mortgage, that was a problem, as he had a very thin credit history. So, he opened a couple credit cards and financed his family's next car (even though he could have paid cash for everything). The following year, his scores were awesome and he got a great rate on a mortgage.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.