cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto refi and credit card....which first?

tag
dunn2500
Established Contributor

auto refi and credit card....which first?

So I am going to refi my truck loan and get another credit card.. Which should i do first and how quickly between the 2 apps should i do?......My refi will either be with Navy which i currently have the loan with (if they will which i think they wont but some say yes so) or Pen Fed and CC will be Navy......

some of you guys (gals) have this stuff down to science.....thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: auto refi and credit card....which first?

Do the refi first. Before inquiry hit from CC. You want refi to show strongest score. Good luck!! 👍🏻 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dunn2500 wrote:

So I am going to refi my truck loan and get another credit card.. Which should i do first and how quickly between the 2 apps should i do?......My refi will either be with Navy which i currently have the loan with (if they will which i think they wont but some say yes so) or Pen Fed and CC will be Navy......

some of you guys (gals) have this stuff down to science.....thanks

Good question and smart that you asked. As stated by @blindambition , you definitely want to do the refinance first. The reason is the inquiry for the refi will not cause any point loss for 30 days. Plus, you will have some time before the new loan reports, which could cost a couple points due to age changes. 

As soon as you can after doing the refi, go for the cards, that way you will have your best scores possible for both! 

Message 3 of 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

thats what i thought but wanted to be sure....thanks

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Message 5 of 10
JSF1
Valued Member

Hello!

I hope you are doing well. Would this apply to new auto loan too? I am closing on a home soon and want get a new car and credit cards. Should I apply for the auto loan first? If so, how long after should I wait to apply for the credit cards. Same question if vice versa. Can I do both in the same day? 

I look forward to your response. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSF1 wrote:

Hello!

I hope you are doing well. Would this apply to new auto loan too? I am closing on a home soon and want get a new car and credit cards. Should I apply for the auto loan first? If so, how long after should I wait to apply for the credit cards. Same question if vice versa. Can I do both in the same day? 

I look forward to your response. 

Hello @JSF1 , this applies to any sort of loan, we believe. (30 day buffer & de-duplication.) Definitely for mortgages, car and student loans. And, I have a data point that it applies to personal loans as well, thank you again to @Remedios ! So it's irrelevant whether the auto is new or used.

so yes, you should do the car loan first and as soon as you're done with it, you should do the credit cards in a hurry before the car loan reports and before any inquiry points are deducted, if applicable, 30 days after the inquiry. Yes you can do both in the same day as soon as the car loan has been approved.

However I would recommend obtaining financing before you go to the dealership, not at the dealership.

Message 7 of 10
JSF1
Valued Member

Thank you for the response! Yes, I plan to obtain financing from NFCU before going to dealership. I have another question about inquiries: Let's say I didn't like the rate NFCU offered on 31Oct. Will another lender (example PenFED) be able to see the inquiry from NFCU on 31 Oct? How long does it typically take for inquiries to show on reports? I know all of my monitoring apps alert me right away when for inquiries, but are the lenders able to see the inquiries right away (as they happen) or are they only privy to the actual report which updates every 30 days (or whenever a new report is generated). Just asking because when I close I plan to apply for everything in one day.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSF1 wrote:

Thank you for the response! Yes, I plan to obtain financing from NFCU before going to dealership. I have another question about inquiries: Let's say I didn't like the rate NFCU offered on 31Oct. Will another lender (example PenFED) be able to see the inquiry from NFCU on 31 Oct? How long does it typically take for inquiries to show on reports? I know all of my monitoring apps alert me right away when for inquiries, but are the lenders able to see the inquiries right away (as they happen) or are they only privy to the actual report which updates every 30 days (or whenever a new report is generated). Just asking because when I close I plan to apply for everything in one day.

@JSF1 good question and kudos for educating yourself prior to rather than after the fact!

Inquiries are real time. But they are bureau specific. So if you get a pull from Navy at TransUnion and 5 minutes later pull TransUnion from FNBO, then they are going to see the prior inquiry, but won't know whether or not an account was issued because the account would not have reported by then. 

And when it comes to a loans, lenders expect savvy borrowers to rate shop, so they would not assume an account. Nevertheless, you can be cognizant of which bureau the inquiry is recorded at and if you like, you can spread them, but try to do them all within a 14 day window for EX pullers, in case anyone uses EX2.

All other versions have a 45 day window to combine all car loan inquiries as one at each bureau for scoring purposes on fico scores. And all versions have a 30 day buffer for the score impact from the loan inquiry, which is why you get the cards before those points are deducted 30 days later. 😉

However keep in mind if you have all the car inquiries at one bureau within the window, you'll only be penalized at one bureau for one car inquiry.

Message 9 of 10
JSF1
Valued Member

Thank you! This information is so helpful! I will keep you posted once I am ready to apply. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.