cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a car from a private individual...

tag
bankerguy02
New Visitor

buying a car from a private individual...

I am buying a car from a friend and making monthly payments. How can I have the payments reported to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion? Can my friend send in a letter stating I am paying on time? If so what address do they need to send it to?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jboy1972
New Contributor

Re: buying a car from a private individual...

That is a interesting question....I would love to hear the answer to that too...does this private individual have a car dealership? And /or tax I'd # for business? It might be possible...
NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 2 of 6
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

If possible, take out a car or personal loan to pay the car off so you can have a payment record on your CR.

In order for your friend to report to the credit bureaus, he has to become a member (which has fees) and then requires your SSN to report it.  If you are willing to pay the membership fees and provide him/her your SSN, I don't see any issues.  The problem with this is that your friend did not extend you capital.  Rather, you're making monthly payments so it'll more than likely appear as a "charge-card" type monthly transaction which may not be to your benefit, Auto Enhance or FICO wise.

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. Loans from individuals won't show on your reports.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
Hevj1119
Regular Contributor

How in the heck does an individual person become a member and how much are the fees?  I'd like to start my own business where I loan people a small amount of money, and then make them pay me back with ridiculous interest fees to help rebuild their credit Smiley Wink

Seriously though, with all the fraud that goes on nowadays and the economy in the state that it's in, surely the "priviledge" of reporting a tradeline to a CRA comes with a ton of prerequisites.  I can't imagine Jim Bob down the street being able to start reporting to the CRA's that Sally Sue has been paying his truck payment.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.