Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a car from ebay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: buying a car from ebay?

Just today I got outbid on a car I REALLY wanted for my teenager. It was a good car, we saw it a few days ago, and waited till the last few seconds to snipe it. No dice. I had a max bid that was a few hundred above book value, but somebody else wanted it worse than me. Sucka. I wonder if the winner knows about the small crack in the windshield that was not disclosed in the description? or how the brakes are going to need work soon. That is my only consolation....knowing that there were two defects not in the description and wondering if the winner knew like I did, only because I was able to go see the car myself. I thought I was a smart ebay buyer, but not smart enough, as I lost a good one, today.
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My brother just got a 2006 325 BMW for $20,000 with 20,000 miles. The carfax was good and the pictures looked great. Sounds like a great deal some say.... After the deal was done still no car. After the first car payment the car came from FL to TX. After inspecting the car it was in the front and rear. Lots of work was done on it but it did look ok. To my brother it was a good deal and to me a bad one. 

It's going to be hit or miss.

Message 22 of 24
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I have bought three vehicles off of ebay and sold several.  I only deal with very well established ebayers that I have perfect feedback.  You cannot be too careful and if there is just one bad on there I will not do business.  Better to be safe than sorry!
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

We own a taxi service and have bought several vehicles on eBay and Cars.com.  The main things to remember are to inspect the vehicle.  We do a search within 5 to 20 miles from our office location (that's all we are willing to drive) and then go look at the vehicle before the auction is over. 

We check:

Engine Oil

Transmission Fluid

Coolant (engine oil in your coolant or vice versa means there may be engine trouble; head gasket; manifold)

Tires

Signs of an accident

Smoking from the exhaust (black or white smoke)

Windows work

Locks work

Wipers work

Heat and A/C work

Brake fluid

Then we give it a test drive and check the following:

Does the gears have trouble shifting

Does it reverse?  Drive?

Weird engine noises

See if the Check Engine Light is on

Tires (see if you need a wheel alignment, new tires etc.)

Misfires (replacing spark plugs)

Brakes

Off topic:  I've got an Actron OBDII 9135 Diagnostic scanner that I'm gaga over but it has saved me loads of cash and I always check the price of parts before going to the garage to keep 'em honest.

No Lemons yet.  Did learn alot about cracked manifolds and oxygen sensors though.  LOL  Smiley Very Happy 

Jodi the Car Nut

Message Edited by shawtycat on 10-11-2008 07:54 PM
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.