Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cash purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cash purchase

Does anyone think that it's worth buying a car paying th efull price with cash on the spot without taking out a loan and head aching over monthly payments? I'm almost ready to do it, but need to be more confident about that
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: cash purchase

I would never pay full sticker price for a vehicle...ever. I would be ready to walk out the door first. As for the cash buy, if you are in the position to do so, and not have it hurt your wallet, then why not go for it.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lot's of car in todays market have very heavily supported rates and programs so I would recomend against it! Since you have the cash, put a nice down and have reasonable monthly payments. You could even put your money in a High Yeild Savings Account on auto pay and never see the money go out. Most importantly do what you are most comfortable with!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Dad always purchases his cars with cash (he trades them in at least every 2 years) If you can afford to pay in full I would do it. I hope to one day be in that boat.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather have my money working for me than to give it to a dealership that has deep pockets Expecially given the financial times we are presently in. It depends on the type of vehicle you are interested in some offer 0% 36-48-60 Mos if not maybe a low % 1.9-2.9-etc. It all depends on the individual most definitley do what you are most comfortable with. Economsits predict darker  financial times ahead good time for growing that nest egg MHO though.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is uasually a good downpayment, 20% ?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, since the economy is sinking, the car prices are going to go down by the year end as well?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

MSRP won't go down, but you will probably be able to negotiate a better price....maybe below dealer invoice!

20% is the recommended amount to stay right side up on the vehicle.  I'd say 25% for a high performance vehicle (because they have lots of bells & whistles with insane markups that don't retain their value).
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I want to buy a new car, I need to get rid off my leased toyota corolla 2005, I leased it in 05 and the lease is over end of July of 09. The car is in good condition, but I made heavy mile usage on it. It's a little bit 40K now, and suposed to be not more than 48K by next July. What's the best way to get out of it? Trade it in sooner the the end of lease or wait till the end of it and pay a fee or maybe there's another option or a couple? 
Message 9 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Before I want to buy a new car, I need to get rid off my leased toyota corolla 2005, I leased it in 05 and the lease is over end of July of 09. The car is in good condition, but I made heavy mile usage on it. It's a little bit 40K now, and suposed to be not more than 48K by next July. What's the best way to get out of it? Trade it in sooner the the end of lease or wait till the end of it and pay a fee or maybe there's another option or a couple?

Stick with the lease till it ends, the hassle factor and penalties for doing otherwise can be severe. The lack of flexibility is one of the reasons I have never leased a car and never will, I prefer to buy late-model used cars and keep them forever.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.