Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

co signing question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

co signing question

my dh and i recently bought a new car with and my mil co signed for us....... we put 10,000 down and our payments are like 210 for 35 months. will this help my dhs credit.... its bad thats why his mom co signed.... and we got 0%apr as well.. thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: co signing question

IMHO I dont think co-sign help your credit other then getting the loan and payment history.  You dont get more points based on the credit of the co-signer.  Its not like AU.

Message Edited by marty56 on 06-13-2008 04:33 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 4
blue_moon
Established Member

Co-signing on a loan reports on the credit reports of both the primary signer and the co-signer equally.  I co-signed a loan for my son and this loan has shown up on my credit report since it was opened.  The good news is that if you pay the loan on time, the information will report favorably for both you and the co-signer.  If you do not pay on time [like my son who was  payment late every month] the information will report negatively for both you and the co-signer.  I finally had to take charge of the loan and make my son pay me so that I could be responsible for paying the lender on time.   
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

blue_moon wrote:
Co-signing on a loan reports on the credit reports of both the primary signer and the co-signer equally.  I co-signed a loan for my son and this loan has shown up on my credit report since it was opened.  The good news is that if you pay the loan on time, the information will report favorably for both you and the co-signer.  If you do not pay on time [like my son who was  payment late every month] the information will report negatively for both you and the co-signer.  I finally had to take charge of the loan and make my son pay me so that I could be responsible for paying the lender on time.   

Correct.

So make sure you pay on time, or your family Thanksgivings and Christmases will be no picnic.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.