Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

easier credit unions or financial companies to approve car loan

tag
jchu2013
Valued Member

easier credit unions or financial companies to approve car loan

Im at the begining of the credit building, would like to add a car loan in my credit report to enhance my profile for my 2015 or 2016 mortgage.

Since I'm at the early stage, which cu or auto financing companies are easier in approval according to my case, will pull the trigger in this coming September. My details below :

Us bank secured card : 4000 (opened in jan 2013)
Boa secured card : 4000 (opened in jan 2013)
Credit score (fako from citi credit monitor and credit karma) : 742
Negetive : none
Recent inquiry in 6 months : 1 (landlord pulled)
No car loan before.

Any good recommendations for me, hopefully good apr and higher chances for approval. And, one more thing, approval without fax in income verification, I'm self employed.

Loan needed is about 30k and I can put max 10k for a 35k - 40k car.

Thanks in advance.
My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: easier credit unions or financial companies to approve car loan

I got my auto loan through BoA @ 1.74%.  There are plenty of CUs out there that have nice rates.  Are you in with NFCU or USAA?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

I dont forsee any issues with a credit union -- Provided you find one that is willing to work with your credit & self employed profile. As far as other lenders go, see #3 below.

The one drawback to joining credit unions ( that isnt talked about much )  is that after you have satisfied the requirements to even join, that the price of admission is 1 hard pull usually from each of your credit files at the 3 Bureaus. Whereas a bank will do a soft pull in order to see if you are eligible for Debit Cards, Checking, etc. Many of us on here have made the mistake of thinking a CU was a "magic bullet" only to join the one we thought was best for us -- only to find out AFTER joining we simply wasted an inquiriy and now hold a useless membership to something we`ll probably never use.

Keep the credit pull issue in mind when you are looking for a CU.

As to your loan, everything looks good from 30,000 feet, but the questions needed to give you a better answer....

1. Are you wanting to buy new or used?

2. What vehicles? -- Any specific brand?

3. Can you verify income in any other way? i.e.- Bank statements, last years income tax return, etc? You`ve just elimated most major lenders without income verification & 10K down because that will trigger security concerns.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 3 of 10
jchu2013
Valued Member

1. Used car, don't like the depreciation of new car.

2. Audi, bmw or lexus. Those sport sedan. Depend on what available in the market. Year around 2009 and up.

3. I can show bank statement, I went back to school to pursue different career path last year, no w2 or 1099 to show. Before that, I was computer programmer that made about 140k. I still keep those documents it helps.

The main purpose of this auto loan is to enhance my credit profile for my 2015/2016 mortgage.

Any credit union or financial company that will more likely approve my loan with reasonable interest rate? Any suggestions?

Thanks
My current situation :
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 4 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

If you are eligible, USAA gave me my very first auto loan at 6% when I was 18 years old with no credit history. 

Message 5 of 10
jchu2013
Valued Member

I wish I could join usaa or nfcu. I have no military affliction.
My current situation :
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 6 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@jchu2013 wrote:
1. Used car, don't like the depreciation of new car.

2. Audi, bmw or lexus. Those sport sedan. Depend on what available in the market. Year around 2009 and up.

3. I can show bank statement, I went back to school to pursue different career path last year, no w2 or 1099 to show. Before that, I was computer programmer that made about 140k. I still keep those documents it helps.

The main purpose of this auto loan is to enhance my credit profile for my 2015/2016 mortgage.

Any credit union or financial company that will more likely approve my loan with reasonable interest rate? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't know where you get the idea that having a car payment enhances your credit profile for a mortgage. If anything, it does the opposite.

A car payment can show consistancy in payments, but it doesn't enhance your score. An installment payment is only 10% of your score. If you have an installment payment, open or closed, on your credit report, then you don't need an active car payment.

The mistake most make is getting such a large vehicle payment that it impacts how much home they can buy. Over the past few years the mortgage lenders have actively reduced the allowable back end ratio.

Now, if you are looking for a vehicle because you want one, than that is a different issue.

Message 7 of 10
jchu2013
Valued Member

I don't have any installment account that's why I need it. I will pay it back around the end of 2014 and get the account closed before any mortgage application.

Thanks
My current situation :
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 8 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

An account showing positive payment history with no lates is always good. I wouldn't spend your money on a car if you don't need it just for the sake of a mortgage.

Message 9 of 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If you want installment history on your profile there are CU accounts that you can open as "loans" and basically you're making payments to a savings account and when you're done you keep the funds in the account but, it gets reported to all CRA's usually as an installment loan.  It's a trick that helps build that payment history you're looking for and might be a good vehicle to build your down payment for the mortgage in 2 years as well.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.