Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard inquiry despair -- preapprovals

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

hard inquiry despair -- preapprovals

I was just tinkering around just out of curiosity and wanted to know if I could be preapproved for financing. So I applied to see if I could. I didnt really want to finance you see. Well this morning I check to confirm equifax that it was a soft inquiry, assuming that it would be. Well what do you know they hard pulled me!!! I AM LIVID!!! Someone please help, I never intended to officially apply. I am so mad right now. I am so worried how this could somehow adversely affect me. I am drowing in fear and despair.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hard inquiry despair -- preapprovals

car financing/ loans do not do soft inquiries.

You will be effected by a 5-10 point drop in your score for 12 months, and the inquiry will show for 24 months.

Message 2 of 9
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i feel like such a dope. i wish i would have somehow known about this. crap.

Message 3 of 9
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

i feel like such a dope. i wish i would have somehow known about this. crap.

Well did you at least get approved for financing?  And at what terms Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

no i was denied, not pre approved. even if i was pre approved, i would not have applied for financing. but, in a way misleadingly, i did. don't understand why one would apply for credit, before applying for the same credit again. that seems kind of stupid, and a waste of a hard inquiry to me. oh, well. now i know.

Message 5 of 9
JBjunior
New Contributor

You weren't applying for getting preapproved to get approved for a loan. You were applying to be preapproved prior to shopping for a car. The pre is for shopping, the approval is from when you apply.
Message 6 of 9
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@JBjunior wrote:
You weren't applying for getting preapproved to get approved for a loan. You were applying to be preapproved prior to shopping for a car. The pre is for shopping, the approval is from when you apply.

i know this. but regardless i still took the hit to my credit file. i thought this would be a soft inquiry. oh well. now i know better.

Message 7 of 9
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Scoooooooooootttttttttt

You already know the speech, so I will save it for now but you gotta stop testing online pre-approvals, applications, or anything that says "Submit".

One more and we'll all come over and take the computer away from ya!  We just wanna keep Barclays and others off your back!  Then we can finally prove that they've eased up on that sudden account closure stuff. 

Oh yeah, you're our test subject in case you didn't know.

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@JayRizzo wrote:

Scoooooooooootttttttttt

You already know the speech, so I will save it for now but you gotta stop testing online pre-approvals, applications, or anything that says "Submit".

One more and we'll all come over and take the computer away from ya!  We just wanna keep Barclays and others off your back!  Then we can finally prove that they've eased up on that sudden account closure stuff. 

Oh yeah, you're our test subject in case you didn't know.

Smiley Wink

lol... actually i am over it now. i have accepted my brand new hard inquiry friend to my hot smokin profile. who knows, maybe barclays will take a look at it and say to themselves, "NICE TASTE IN CARS" you sooo sexy! we're going to give you an increase you smokin stud.

really, i was having a fit and suggesting to myself i should be afraid of my little new friend. i will look great in november when all of my recent inquiries clear up. i will app for venture and perhaps a chevy aveo at that time.

for now i WILL WAIT patiently and GROW gracefully.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.