Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lower auto loan balance before refi?

tag
mschang
Regular Contributor

lower auto loan balance before refi?

started this february with a 6 year loan for 23,232 @18.99% when my scores were in the low 500s/high 400s.

FICO scores are better now but current balance is still 22,444 with current car value of 24K.

i am getting a bonus in 2 weeks and can bring balance down to 19K.

does it matter? can i go ahead and refi now? it will be with navy fed.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 588 EX FICO 587 TU FICO 588
Current Score: EQ FICO 660 EX FICO 642 TU FICO 606
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cellice
Regular Contributor

Re: lower auto loan balance before refi?

Penfed likes requiring 15% downpayments so save your bonus for that. You should wait till your score is in the 680 range so you can qualify for their best interest rates.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'd pull the trigger with the bonus check in hand.  It won't matter if you pay it to the old lender or the new, and you have more flexibility with it than without it.

If you can get refi'd at that point, take it absolutely.  I'm stuck waiting till the end of August so I can easily prove income, but kick that 18% loan to the curb ASAP - you can always refinance down again later if hte number moves to something you don't really care for, but your finances will be in remarkably better shape even if you can refi down to 12-13, and NFCU will probably do better than that.

Edit:  make sure you get the 6th reported payment showing up on your credit reports before pulling the trigger. Smiley Wink.  I'm past that date but income was delayed months past what I expected so.... hanging out sadly.  You may need to wait till next month depending on the reporting cycle, but it's worth doing FICO wise since you're extremely close if not already there.

        
Message 3 of 9
WallowinginVA
Established Member

I was in the same boat as you! 17.49% for a 24k loan with Capone. My scores are better so I Tried to get it refi'd. I got it from NAvyFed today at 4.99 for 3 years vs 5 more years of paying at 17.49. Granted my monthly went up $50 more but it got shortened to 3 yrs. im going in and signin the pprwork tomorrow. Navy Fed has been good to me!
Message 4 of 9
mschang
Regular Contributor

what were your before and after scores if you don't mind my asking?

Message 5 of 9
CasperJack14
Contributor

I'm sort of in the same boat, but at the beginning  lol  I just purchased a Jeep at the end of July.  Financed $20,000 at a 15% interest rate.  Hoping that after 6 months or so I can refinance into a lower interest rate.  My payment is just under $500.00 for 5 years.  I can afford to pay double that each month.  Am I further ahead to do that, reducing the principal owed faster, or put it into savings as a downpayment when applying for a refi? 

Thanks!

Starting Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Current Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
mschang
Regular Contributor

at 15% i would put all my extra money after employer match 401(K) into that car payment. that's what i was doing

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CasperJack14 wrote:

I'm sort of in the same boat, but at the beginning  lol  I just purchased a Jeep at the end of July.  Financed $20,000 at a 15% interest rate.  Hoping that after 6 months or so I can refinance into a lower interest rate.  My payment is just under $500.00 for 5 years.  I can afford to pay double that each month.  Am I further ahead to do that, reducing the principal owed faster, or put it into savings as a downpayment when applying for a refi? 

Thanks!

Keep paying extra: Ms. Chang's situation is a little different being right at the refi point.  You wind up way further ahead paying double, that's what I was doing till my income fell flat, but I'm still well ahead of the curve now (21 -> 16K total even after a few months of non-payment when my income fell flat... ah the magic of paying more than needed early!)

        
Message 8 of 9
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

@mschang wrote:

@started this february with a 6 year loan for 23,232 @Anonymous.99% when my scores were in the low 500s/high 400s.

FICO scores are better now but current balance is still 22,444 with current car value of 24K.

i am getting a bonus in 2 weeks and can bring balance down to 19K.

does it matter? can i go ahead and refi now? it will be with navy fed.

If I were willing to put my bonus toward my auto loan, I would put the bonus toward the refinanced balance.  That way, you're dropping the calculation of interest on the loan that you're keeping, not the loan that you're ending.  Cellice mentioned Penfed, buy you mentioned Navy; I don't think Navy requires monies down for a refi, while Penfed might, so you may not have to worry about 15% down.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.