cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saleswoman is talking me into a lease, is it better than financing?

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: saleswoman is talking me into a lease, is it better than financing?

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

It COMPLELY depends on the numbers.

Do the math.  If a 3 year lease for example, add up the payments and residual and compare that to the kbb of a 3 year version depreciation.

Lease can be better if the car depreciates fast and the payments are right.

If the buy-out price at the end-of-lease doesn't align with KBB, KBB is irrelevant. The numbers may come out ahead, but if you can't actually purchase the car at KBB price, then your only other choice is to walk away with nothing at all.

This also assumes that a person wishes to live with a monthly car payment in perpetuity as leasing isn't buying anything (you're paying the car manufacturer's depreciation on the car in return for them letting you borrow their car for a couple years).

Message 11 of 26
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Thanks for all the help folks....I am still on the fence. She invited me to diner last night and we ended up going to a higer end place in the city. They must give her an expense account because she paid and the meal with wine was about $600. I am sure they make more than that on the sale of the car. Anyhow...I am leaning in the direction of leasing. I besically get a new car every 3 years. In my line of work you get teased by your co workers if you drive anything that's older than 3-5 years. It's a running joke where when you are getting out of the car in the morning they look at your door sill VIN plate to see what year you have. It's very mild hazing but we are one big team and family. 

So I am going to get her to run the numbers for me, she said we can meet up at a local bar tomorrow after work and go over everything. I will give her this, she is very persistent. She likes to text me about the car and small talk. mercedes must have one hell of a training program.

Message 12 of 26
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

You are very kind to refer to her as persistent. I had some fool car saleswoman bugging me by phone instead of email as I preferred. I determined she was a PITA. Didn't do busness with her or her dealership. Too many place happy to unload a car. 

Good luck whatever you decide. 

BTW you are paying for that dinner and the wine one way or another. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow - is this post legit?

I have never heard of a dealer taking you to a $600 dinner.

I have gotten free lunch at the diner attached to the dealership but that's about it.

I didn't even think the 2021 AMG GT was out yet, when I looked for pricing it shows coming soon.

Message 14 of 26
dunn2500
Established Contributor

yeah ive never heard of it b4 either.....they are making bank on that car to buy a $600 dinner...

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking! The dealerships I purchased my Audi S6 and Nissan GT-R at never did such a thing. When my wife and I test drove a G63 AMG and C63 AMG, with approved financing in hand, we got to go to lunch by ourselves and test drive both without a salesman, which was nice. We did, however, get free Starbucks coffees everytime we took the S6 in for service!

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post is starting to smell. 

Look at OP other topics.

Message 17 of 26
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This post is starting to smell. 

Look at OP other topics.

Wow. Well aint that something. 2 years post BK and leasing a $70k+ MBZ. Quite a rebuild.

Message 18 of 26
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

This thread smells fishy.

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

More than $70k! The GT starts at $90k. If he's getting a $600 dinner I can almost guarantee this GT is well equipped. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.