cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trade in or refi remaining? which makes more financial sense?

tag
peepers
Frequent Contributor

trade in or refi remaining? which makes more financial sense?

So, 3 years ago when I had to get a car, I had to take out a 10% interest loan.  I had just started rebuilding and still had alot of work to do but had to get a vehicle.  so now, my credit is repaired, we just closed on a house, and I have been thinking about this loan.

I have 24 months left at payments of $X/mo.  When I use the refi calculators, even using a 2.5%-3% rate for 24 months, there is maybe $5/mo difference.  So I think Ive already paid the interest hit.      Or, I could trade it in, get maybe $2,000 trade-in after current note and have a $100/mo less payment but then I owe for another 4-5 years.  

So would you guys just continue to pay it off?  or trade in?:  I dont see how refinancing would benefit me (unless I take it out for a longer term and I REFUSE to pay on a car 6 years!)    I drive a 2009 nissan maxima with 75K miles

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: trade in or refi remaining? which makes more financial sense?

Seems like you've figured out that your two choices aren't the ones in your thread title. Sounds like refi doesn't make sense. If you'r going to keep it, no need to refi. If you want a new car, sounds like you're in a good position to get into something decent. The choice of whether to commit to a new car loan for 4-5 years is one that different people have different opnions on. Are you comfortable driving a car that will likely start to need 'things'? I tend to get twitchy when my car hits about 80k miles. I really, really planned to keep my 2010 car "forever", but it had 73k-ish miles and needed some electrical work, shocks, brakes, a windshield, etc. and I just traded it in. For every car I've had and I've thought it would be 'the one', I think this round I've finally acknowledged we're new-ish car people and should just plan to have a car payment most of the time. YMMV.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.