Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is Tier 1

tag
quest208
Frequent Contributor

what is Tier 1

when i watch tv or read magazines i see those lexus and mercedes benz commercials offering insane stuff to "qualifying" customers.

what exactly does that mean?  i would assume fico would need to be like 760, but what are the other factors that make someone a tier 1 candidate?

at some point i would like to buy a car and i want to qualify for the best.

is there such a thing as walking into a dealership with an 800 credit score and being given a great rate without having to prove income, etc?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: what is Tier 1

The highest tier depends on the company, and some companies will extend their best rates to multiple tiers. If you want to be safe, usually a 720+ score will get you the best rates accross the board, but some more lenient lenders (I believe Nissan is like this), will give there best rates to 620+ from time to time. Just depends on the lender and the time of year.

There shouldn't be a point, ever, that a lender sells a car without verifying proof of income. Credit score is not equivalent to good income. There are young kids with a thin credit file (AUs on their parents accounts) that have 800 scores.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: what is Tier 1

Also, be aware that some lenders classify their best borrowers as "tier 0", so just ask the finance manager to list out the tiers and rates if your salesperson doesn't know.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

hingRe: what is Tier 1

Good thread, been wondering the same thing.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hingRe: what is Tier 1

What the other factors that are important to qualify for top tier? For e.g. min income, max DTI ratio, min down pmt, etc. What are the other factors.

Anyone on this board who has/had experience please share. 

Message 5 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe that most major auto finance companies base the rate at which you borrow ( tier 0, 1, 2...) on your FICO or auto-enhanced FICO score.    Your downpayment, income and DTI% will determine how much they will lend you at that rate.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 13
Regular Contributor

Just to add my experience to the bunch. I went into Hyundai and they denied me for their finance company because of a $167 medical collection that was 6.5 years old. I went into Suzuki a few days before and they gave me a print out with my EX score of 701. Hyundai wouldn't let me see my score, but said it was 680. They completely denied only because of the collection. I have also never had a car loan so they also mentioned that. Now I am just waiting till the begining of the year for the collection to fall off. It also gives me time to save some more money. 

Message 7 of 13
quest208
Frequent Contributor

so would it make sense to have a car loan and pay it off before getting the "major" car loan?

i may need a major car loan down the line, im talking about 60,000.  not now, maybe a year from now, that's why im trying to do my due diligence and find out everythign i can.

i will be out of the country for 4 months summer 2012, so i gotta do all my preparation and research now

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 8 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's all down to the lender but as others said anything above 720 shouldn't even cause a blink or a single question, just approved!

Not Toyota goes to 650

Nissan goes to 595-610 it seems based on the finance manager and pushing!

Infiniti same

and really if your income factors out on the util of current debt to new car loan debt it won't matter rather it's for a Plus 2 or a 100k Mercedes... score qualifies and income qualifies you are probably driving away with it!

Message 9 of 13
quest208
Frequent Contributor

thank you kindly

TU08 762
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.