cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when do you refinance an auto loan ?

tag
EddieK
Established Contributor

Re: when do you refinance an auto loan ?

@Anonymous wrote:
Current:

6.99% 24 months ... $313 a month (wellsfargo)

Originally 48 month term.

Possibilities...

1.49% 24 months ... $317 a month (PSE Credit Union)

Or

1.74% 24 months ... $319 a month (Digital Credit Union)

Smiley Indifferent

No brainer...go with the 1.49%/24 months.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct me if wrong, ok?

originally 6% 48 mths.  Down to 24 months. 

Refi at 1.49 for 24mths, $317 seems kinda sexy to me.

Only reason id ever refi is 1. I love my car that has high equity.  2. I'd shave off a ton of overall interest owed and pay off the sucker faster For less.  3. Monthly payments are killing me and I have a better CS to lower rates. 

Just thinking out loud Smiley Happy

How is it sexy when my monthly payment $2 more for same amount time i have left on current auto loan (24 months $313 per month) ?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some things are pretty simple, use the following auto loan calculator to determine what you would save by refinancing: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Figure how much you would save monthly and how much you would save over the life of the new loan. Also, depending on the length of your loan, some credit unions will not give you the best rate for cars considered used versus new but refinanced. The CU should indicate which year it considers new. 

If you can get a rate of 1.74-2.99% and the different is a few thousand dollars I'd do it. Put the money on your pocket and use the money to pay off some debt. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Some things are pretty simple, use the following auto loan calculator to determine what you would save by refinancing: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Figure how much you would save monthly and how much you would save over the life of the new loan. Also, depending on the length of your loan, some credit unions will not give you the best rate for cars considered used versus new but refinanced. The CU should indicate which year it considers new. 

If you can get a rate of 1.74-2.99% and the different is a few thousand dollars I'd do it. Put the money on your pocket and use the money to pay off some debt. 

@Anonymous know if my caculations are off but difference between $7,500 for 24 months @6.99% and $7,500 for 24 months @1.49% is only $400? Enough to persuade?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

$335.76 vs. $317.37 monthly = $441.36 in savings. It is not worth it in the hassle and HP. You'd be better served in just paying as is or paying a little more towards the principle. 

Message 15 of 16
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you can get under 5% for 24 months, I'd do it.  I'm unfamiliar with auto loans under 24-36 months however. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current:

6.99% 24 months ... $313 a month (wellsfargo)

Originally 48 month term.

Possibilities...

1.49% 24 months ... $317 a month (PSE Credit Union)

Or

1.74% 24 months ... $319 a month (Digital Credit Union)

Smiley Indifferent

So.... you have 24 months left on a 48 month term, and the currently monthly payment is $313?

If this is the case, there's no need to refinance.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.