Did you mean: 

when to try and refi?

tag
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

when to try and refi?

Cliff Notes:

Chapter 7 Discharge on 10/31/12

Applied and received 10.99% APR laon through Wells Fargo in 1/13 (purchased an 09 BMW 335i w/ $15,000 down payment) - instant equity position.

I currently owe $14,000 on the loan.  I have 1 secured CC through my local CC received in 12/12 with perfect history and <5% utilization.  I also just got a secured card through Cap 1 that has yet to be used.  I will not carry a balance on this card.  Just keep the very minimal revolving on the longer standing card.

Current FICO is 640 as of today.

When do you think I should look into a refi to try and get a lower APR?  Do you even think its possible because of the Chapter 7?  Obviously I recieved the 10.99 because of the equity position I was in.

KBB - $29K

Purashed for $25.8k + $3k after market warranty

Balance - $14k to date.

Monthly payment = $315/per

Should I wait 6 months?  Maybe at the annual date?

Thoughts?

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: when to try and refi?

anyone?

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

What was your credit score when you applied? Generally speaking, you should refinance anytime your credit score/report shows "significant" improvement. 

If its about the same as it is now, then no.

If its improved some since then, you can try to refinance. Your expense would be the hard pull on your credit.

Otherwise, just wait for your discharge and do it then.

Message 3 of 4
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

What was your credit score when you applied? Generally speaking, you should refinance anytime your credit score/report shows "significant" improvement. 

If its about the same as it is now, then no.

If its improved some since then, you can try to refinance. Your expense would be the hard pull on your credit.

Otherwise, just wait for your discharge and do it then.

thanks!  noticed I had a typo on the original.  My discharge was 10/31/12 - not 13.  When I purchased my FICO was exactly 600.  It now sits at 640.  I am thinking maybe wait out the summer, build a little more with the secured cards and see where it gets.  Maybe wait ti 660-680?

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.