cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 years later, a special thank you to you all!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 years later, a special thank you to you all!

Hello!

I flied for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and it was discharged back in January of 2012. 9 years and 11 months later, it has been dropped off of all 3 of my credit reports. I unfortunately was spending way over my head in my 20's and it all fell apart when I lost my job. I learned some very difficult lessons the hard way. I came to these forums and have lurked for years absorbing as much information/knowledge as I could as others shared their stories and experiences. All the indirect advice I received, I truly appreciated.

I started off slow with CapOne Platinum unsecured card a few months post discharge. I was able to add another CapOne QuickSilver about a year after that. I waited until 2016 before I applied and was approved for a Discover IT card and applied and received my 4th and final card in 2019 MGM MLife Rewards MasterCard through FNB of Omaha.

I never put myself in debt and was able to also get a auto financing through CapOne in 2016. I never applied for any other type of credit besides those 5. The car has since been fully paid off and I just have my 4 revolving cards on my credit report. I have a combined CL of $45,000.00. I always pay off my balance in full each month and my credit score has been rougly 747 for the past year or 2. Today I can say with my Ch7 removed, it is now 811!

I earned this new financial start in life. It is not something I will take lightly or for granted as it was a hard lesson with many sacrifices involved. Once again, I can't thank you all enough for all you have shared and posted through the years. There truly is light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 10 years later, a special thank you to you all!

Congrats! Just remember when all accounts report $0 your leaving points on the table. Less than 4 yrs left for me. It will be here fast.

Message 2 of 5
Caribsa89
Contributor

Congratulations! I love reading similar stories to my.  You are doing great!  Almost the same story but I was 31 when I filled BK7 in March of 2012.  I also had a job lost and a mortgage (townhouse).  My BK7 has fallen off 2 with the exception of Equifax (they probably won't drop it until Feb 2022).  I orginally started with a Macy's store card (now Macy's Amex), then the Ollo card, then a Cap1 Plaitinum (Switched it to Venture One in 2019), Then Cap1 Quicksilver, Amazon store card, and Discover card for a total of 6 cards. I had not applied for anything else sinse the Discover on 06/2019 until recently.  I had 0 inquiries on all of my credit reports until Dec 22 of this year.  I received an invite for the new tech card X1.  I sock draw my Venture One card that has been at $3.5K since 2019 (will use it for a tank of gas every 6 months) and everyone said X1 did not do a hard inquiry, so I went ahead and applied.  Well, when I applied a week ago, they did do one but after being angry, I was fine since I was approved for 21.5K.  Now I have a little over 75K in total CL.  I am also done.  Just patiently waiting for Equifax to drop it.  I called them about 2 weeks ago for an early exclusion since the other 2 dropped it on their own but it was a no go.

Message 3 of 5
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Congrats on your hard work and dedication to improving your credit!

Message 4 of 5
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the great progress and continued success!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.