Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st credit card after Ch 7, now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st credit card after Ch 7, now what?

i moved to a new state, got divorced and lost my job and had to file for bankruptcy unfortunately all in one year. I was discharged in 10/2018, haven’t done anything on my credit since. Found out yesterday that only 1 out of my 3 tradelines that I was banking on to help rebuild is reporting on all 3 bureaus. Just the student loan. May be able to get mortgage to start reporting again since it is a joint loan with ex husband who did not file bankruptcy and I had reaffirmed on my end and kept it current through Bk.

After pulling all my 3 reports I decided to give cap1 prequal a try. Unfortunately it said it couldn’t offer me any card suggestions at this but suggested their platinum MasterCard may be a good card for me so I figured to hell with it and gave it a try. I was approved with a $3k credit limit. YAY! Not bad for first card. I may need one more card then garden for 6 months to help rebuild.

If that’s a good idea, any particular bank you’ll recommend? I burnt most of the major ones (Amex, citi, chase, discover) in my BK.

Current financial pic
Current scores: low 600s all 3 (not sure of exact numbers).

Income: $153k annual
Student loan: $200/month (9k bal)
Mortgage: $2600/month (joint borrower)
Car note: $833/month (2% interest, 30k bal reaffirmed through bk but not sure since not reporting)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1st credit card after Ch 7, now what?

Congrats on your approval! Did you include cap1 in your BK?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, but I burned all the other major ones so trying to figure out which other card to get to make the best of my rebuild.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a way to join NFCU I have read that they are very good to try and get into with a secured card, as it is common to see them unsecure and give a cli after a while. I was discharged in October and currently have Credit One and a Discover secured, but will be going for nfcu secured next month.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll check. I do have a NFCU account and I’m an authorized user on my brother’s cards so will try my luck with them next. I think I’ll try to surrender my car if it isn’t reaffirmed and try for a car with lower car payment.
Message 5 of 6
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your approval. SDFCU has a great secured cc that you can apply for. Good luck with your rebuild journey.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.